Melted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are some of the best I’ve tried. It takes time to chill the dough, but you end up with chewy cookies with unbeatable flavor!
I took my oldest son in yesterday to get his wisdom teeth out. Ouch, it sure brings back painful memories! Today I’m looking for creative foods that don’t require chewing. Yogurt, applesauce, and pudding get old pretty fast. Thankfully he is not a complainer!
Don’t worry, today’s recipe does require the use of teeth. 😉 I’m pretty much a sucker for homemade cookies. They are one of my very favorite things to make. And eat for that matter.
A MUST TRY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE!
I’ve seen this chocolate chip cookie recipe all over blog land, so I figured I should give them a try. I know what you’re thinking. Another chocolate chip cookie recipe? I thought the same thing, but they got such great reviews that I decided to go for it.
And you know what, I’m glad I did. Melting the butter really does make a nice soft chewy cookie. Just make sure you don’t skip the chilling step!
You can even chill the dough overnight if you need to. But if you don’t chill the dough, your cookies will be flat and crispy, not soft and chewy!
If you like your cookies nice and chewy with crispy edges, this is a perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for you!
HOW TO MAKE CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
(To skip my tips and just get to the full recipe card, simply scroll to the bottom of the post.)
- butter (Melting the butter is the biggest factor in making these cookies extra chewy. I use regular salted butter.)
- brown sugar (An extra dose of brown sugar instead of white sugar gives the cookies a richer flavor.)
- granulated sugar
- egg yolks (In addition to whole eggs, you will add some egg yolks. Eliminating the thinner whites of the eggs also keeps these cookies chewy instead of cake like.)
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour (I like unbleached flour, but that’s a matter of preference.)
- baking soda
- baking powder
- chocolate chips (I think a combination of both semi sweet and milk chocolate chips makes the best cookies.)
- pecans (or walnuts if you prefer – they are extra tasty toasted)
WET INGREDIENTS: Melt butter in the microwave or in a saucepan; let cool slightly. Pour butter into a large mixing bowl and add the sugars. Beat till creamy. Add the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla extract; beat till smooth.
DRY INGREDIENTS: Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips. Stir just till combined. Dough will be softer than traditional cookie dough because of the melted butter.
CHILL: Cover the dough and chill for at least an hour (overnight is fine). I like to let the dough sit at room temperature for an hour before scooping.
BAKE: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Scoop dough onto baking pans lined with silicone liners or sprayed with non stick spray. Leave 1 1/2-2 inches in between the balls of cookie dough. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or till golden brown around the edges.
PRO TIP: For bakery style cookies, roll the dough into balls after you scoop it. Press some chocolate chips and pecans into the tops of the cookie dough balls before you bake them.
CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE VARIATIONS:
- I have had great result using half freshly ground whole wheat flour. I recommend using white wheat, it has a much softer and lighter texture than red wheat.
- Try a combination of dark, milk, and white chocolate chips.
- Instead of pecans or walnuts, try some chopped pistachios.
- Substitute half of the chocolate chips with chocolate chunks. Or go crazy and use all chocolate chunks if you want.
LEFTOVER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES?
Cookies will last at room temperature for 3-5 days if you store them in an airtight container. We like to pop them in the microwave for a few seconds.
These cookies freeze really well. Let them cool completely, then place them in gallon sized heavy duty ziplock bags. They will last for about 3-4 months in the freezer. You can let them thaw at room temperature, or heat them in the microwave if you are in a hurry.
Crazy for chocolate chip cookies? Here are a few more to try:
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 7 Layer Bar Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
MELTED BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 1 1/2 cups butter, melted
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (optional)
- Cream butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer till creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Cover dough and chill for at least 1-2 hours, overnight is fine.
- Scoop by tablespoonfuls onto silpat lined or lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes on pan, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
Recipe inspired by Your Homebased Mom
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g