Creamy Keto Chicken Salad – this naturally low carb chicken salad is packed with tasty ingredients. Serve it on top of lettuce leaves or cucumber slices for one of the quickest and most delicious keto lunches ever!
It whips up in about 10 minutes, and keeps in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, so it’s perfect for meal prep. And it comes in at just 2 net carbs per serving!
My kids aren’t fans of all my low carb recipes, but this is one that the whole family agreed on.
Chicken salad has always been one of my favorites for lunch, especially during the warm months. It was easy to tweak my favorite chicken salad recipe to make it lower in carbs to fit my keto diet.
I started by taking out the grapes and craisins, and swapping the cashews for pecans. The ranch dressing gives it such great flavor, and makes it perfectly creamy. It is simply scrumptious, and one of the easiest keto recipes you can make!
How to make low carb chicken mayo salad:
- Start with cooked chicken. I usually keep cooked chicken on hand in the fridge or freezer. You can use rotisserie chicken, or cook up a large chicken breast if you don’t have any on hand.
- Chop or shred your chicken and place it in a large bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if you think it needs it. I usually like it as is, but it will depend on your ranch dressing.
- For best flavor, refrigerate for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
HOW TO SERVE LOW CARB CHICKEN SALAD:
- I like serving it as a lettuce wrap with baby romaine leaves, but iceberg and butter leaves also work.
- Serve it in low carb tortillas keto chaffles, or keto bread.
- Stuff it in hollowed out tomatoes or sweet peppers.
- Spread it on cucumber slices or low carb crackers.
- Use it as a dip for veggies.
- Honestly, it’s so yummy that you may be tempted to eat it straight out of the bowl!
CREAMY CHICKEN SALAD FAQ:
Is mayonnaise keto friendly? Yes, mayonnaise is a perfect condiment on a low carb diet! It’s high in fat and has 0 carbs. For an even healthier option, chose a mayonnaise made of avocado or olive oil.
Or of course you can always make your own homemade mayo if that’s what you prefer.
Is chicken salad keto friendly?
If you don’t add fruit like grapes, craisins, and mandarin oranges to the filling, chicken salad filling is naturally low carb. It’s just the bread that adds all the carbs. I serve this chicken salad in lettuce leaves, and it is the perfect keto lunch!
I serve it on rolls for my family, and everyone is happy.
How many carbs in chicken salad?
It depends on the ingredients you use, but this keto chicken salad has 3 carbs, and 2 net carbs. Just make sure your mayonnaise and ranch dressing don’t have added sugar.
How do I store chicken salad?
Due to the mayonnaise content, you don’t want to leave the salad at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Cover it tightly and store it in the refrigerator. It will last for 4-5 days.
- I used diced chicken for the chicken salad, but shredded chicken works just as well.
- Feel free to switch out the pecans for walnuts, almonds, pistachios, or pecans. And for the best flavor, you want to toast your nuts, or use roasted and salted nuts.
- Chop up a couple of boiled eggs and stir them in. They add extra protein and vitamin B.
- You can’t go wrong by adding some crispy cooked bacon.
- Add any veggies that you like. Diced cucumbers, dill pickles, and red peppers are tasty!
- Love tang? Stir in some mustard, regular yellow mustard, spicy mustard, and dijon mustard would all work.
- You can add 1/4 cup of halved grapes to the chicken salad. It will add about 2 carbs to each serving, but it will still come in at under 4 net carbs per serving.
WHAT TO EAT WITH CHICKEN SALAD?
- Keto Cheddar Biscuits
- Roasted Cauliflower Florets
- Sesame Green Beans
- Keto Lemon Pound Cake
- Blender Chocolate Mousse
KETO CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low carb ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (Toasted for best flavor!)
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of dry dill
- Dice or shred your cooked chicken. You can use a rotisserie chicken, it works just great!
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir till well coated. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve on leaves of lettuce, or with low carb bread of your choice. You could also serve it inside of a red or yellow pepper.
This actually tastes best if chilled for 30-60 minutes, but you can just serve it immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 3gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 34g