Lemon Blueberry Bread – with a tangy lemon flavor, and studded with juicy blueberries, this quick bread is unbelievable! Enjoy a slice any time of day.
Lemon Blueberry Bread
Blueberries are nearly impossible to grow here in Utah, so fresh blueberries usually cost a pretty penny. But my local grocery store had flats of blueberries on sale last week, so we have been enjoying blueberries for days!
My son has been whipping up smoothies almost every morning, so I knew I’d better get baking before all the blueberries were gone.
I enjoy blueberries in just about any form, but I really love them paired with lemon. Such a fresh and tasty combination, don’t you agree?
Lemon blueberry bread is so simple to make, you don’t even need to pull out a mixer. Just a simple whisk and mixing bowls will do the job.
The hardest part is zesting your lemon, but if you have a great lemon zester even that job is a snap!
I really do prefer to use fresh blueberries in baked goods because they turn out so much prettier. Frozen berries tend to leave swirls in the bread. But that doesn’t affect the flavor, so if all you have is frozen berries, don’t sweat it.
Every bite of this bread is loaded with lemon flavor and berries. I kept the leftovers in an airtight container and they were great for a couple days.
This bread was actually supposed to have a lemon glaze, but when I went into my food storage room I discovered we were out of powdered sugar. Honestly, my family didn’t miss it, and I felt a little better about them eating it for breakfast the next day. 😉
Of course, the glaze does add an extra burst of lemon flavor, and makes the bread even more decadent, so if you have powdered sugar, go for it!
Tips for making Blueberry Lemon Bread:
– I’ve tried this recipe in a large loaf pan, but I had much better success with the mini loaf pans.
-Spray your pans well, and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Nothing is more frustrating than a loaf that sticks to the pan and breaks when you try to take it out.
-As with all lemon recipes, the great flavor comes from lemon zest. I stock up on lemons when they are on sale, zest and juice them, and freeze the zest and juice so I always have it on hand.
-Tossing the berries with flour helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the loaf. It also helps keep frozen berries from streaking your batter.
-Don’t over-mix after you add the dry ingredients, or you may end up with a tough loaf.
Love blueberries? Here are a few more recipes to check out:
To see all my quick bread recipes, click HERE.
Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Spray three mini loaf pans with non-stick spray, and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs and sour cream; whisk till very well mixed.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Stir into wet ingredients. Toss berries with the 1 teaspoon of flour and gently fold into the batter. (If using frozen berries, toss them with 2 teaspoons of flour.)
- Divide batter between the three pans. Bake at 325° for about 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to cooling racks.
- If desired whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over loaves.
-My mini loaf pans are 5 3/4" x 3 1/4".
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g