Mexican Chicken Chili – loaded with tasty and healthy ingredients, this chicken soup has a wonderful Mexican flair. It is easy to put together, and is a perfect way to warm up on a chilly winter day!
I got this chicken chili recipe a few years ago from a cooking segment on a local tv news program. The original title is “Soup Nazi’s Mexican Chicken Chili”. If you are a Seinfeld fan, you will think this is funny. If you aren’t, I didn’t want you to think I have some sort of sick fondness for Nazi’s. Because I absolutely don’t. That would be wrong.
So, just to play it safe, I changed the name. Please don’t send me any hate mail. Just make this soup. And call it whatever you want.
Don’t be put off by the long ingredient list, this soup is really simple to make. Just toss the ingredients in a large soup pot and let it simmer for a few hours. Leftovers are even better!
Here are a few more family favorite soup recipes to try:
Mexican Chicken Chili
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 4 hours
Total Time 4 hours 20 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced
- 8-10 cups water (depending on how thick you like it)
- 3 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (or 1 can of diced green chilies)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1-2 tsp cumin (I like 2)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown chicken in a large stock pot. Remove and shred. Return to pan and add all but the last 3 ingredients. (I usually start with 8 cups of water and add more later if I want it more brothy.) The pan will be very full!
- Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer uncovered, for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally. The soup will thicken and reduce, leaving more room in the pot. If it is getting too dry, you can add more water.
- Add the beans and corn; heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
-Sometimes I add an extra can of beans, to make this a little more like chili.
-Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 489mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g