Loaded with vegetables, this creamy Cheese Soup is colorful, hearty, and delicious!
I got this Cheesy Soup recipe way back in high school and it was always a favorite. Lately I’ve been trying so many great soup recipes that I kind of forgot about it. It’s been awhile since we had it and I forgot how much I enjoy it.
We had it last night with a batch of homemade pretzels and it was divine. The first time I tried it, it had peas in it, but we prefer broccoli. We’re having leftovers for dinner tonight and I can hardly wait. There’s nothing quite like homemade bread and soup. Great comfort food!
We like to serve this soup with:
MORE HOMEMADE SOUP:
- Mexican Chicken Corn Soup
- Nacho Soup
- Smoky Corn Chowder
- Taco Soup
- Salmon Potato Soup
- Creamy Chicken Soup
- Pumpkin Chili
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
CHEESE SOUP RECIPE
- 4 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 6 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 large potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 16 oz Velveeta (cubed) or Cheese Whiz
- Combine carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, salt, chicken base, and water in a 6 quart pot. Cook over medium high heat till tender, 10-15 minutes. Add broccoli during last five minutes of cooking time.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour till smooth. Whisk in about 2 1/2 cups of the milk. Whisk constantly over medium heat till sauce thickens and boils. Boil for at least one minute. Add to veggies.
- Stir in cheese and remaining milk and heat over medium low heat till cheese melts.
-The original recipe called for 3/4 cup butter, but I have been making it with less fat for years and no one ever misses it!
-This makes a really chunky soup, so you can use less veggies if you prefer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 983mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g