This version of Dutch Oven Chicken is actually made in an oven instead of over a fire. Easier, and just as tasty!
Yes it’s true, the title of this chicken is a complete lie. It was probably originally made in a dutch oven, but I have never made it that way. I just bake it in a 9×13 dish. We continue to call it dutch oven chicken anyway. Hmmm, I hope I am not teaching my children that it is ok to deceive people. Great, now I have guilt. Dang.
My good friend Sherie brought this dish when I had my last baby (four years ago, my how time flies!) It has been a favorite ever since. I don’t always have the bacon, but when I do use it, it adds a wonderful flavor to the dish. I’ve used the Costco real bacon crumbles in place of the bacon strips, and they work great!
I served this with a green salad, and we had enough leftovers for my husband and I to eat it for lunch the next day. So at my house, this makes 8 servings.
Looking for more tasty chicken recipes? Here ya go!
Dutch Oven Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4-6 slices bacon, cooked till crisp, then crumbled
- 1 onion, diced
- Salt & pepper-I like to use lots of pepper
- 3-4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3-4 carrots, sliced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper the chicken, then brown with oil in a large skillet over medium heat. (You don’t need to completely cook, just brown it.) Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two.
- Spread chicken and onions in a 9x13” pan. Arrange potatoes and carrots around the chicken. Sprinkle with bacon, salt, and pepper.
- Mix soup, sour cream, and milk in a small bowl till smooth. Pour over the top. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 60-90 minutes or till veggies are tender.
-You can add more or less milk depending on how saucy you like it.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 28gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 26g
See all my CHICKEN RECIPES.