I love muffins. You may have figured that out seeing as how I have already posted over 20 recipes for muffins! I try to make my muffins healthier by loading them with dried fruit or nuts. (Blueberries and craisins are my favorite.)But sometimes my kids just want plain muffins. On those days I make either my whole wheat muffins, or this recipe for oatmeal muffins. They eat them just about as fast as I can pull them out of the oven!
These muffins are healthy and hearty thanks to the oats. But the addition of the buttermilk makes them nice and tender. They also freeze really well, which is great for busy school mornings when there isn’t even time for cereal and you have to toss breakfast at your kids as they run out the door. Who decided that buses should come at 7 am anyway?
Since my husband and I like dates or craisins in ours, sometimes I will spoon half of the batter into muffin cups, then stir the dried fruit into the remaining batter. Then everyone is happy. 🙂
- 1 cup oats (old fashioned or quick)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Spray a muffin pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Stir together oats and buttermilk in a large mixing bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees while oats are soaking.
- Whisk the egg, vanilla, brown sugar, and oil into the oat mixture.
- Dump flour into the wet ingredients and make a small well. Pour the baking powder, soda, and salt into the well and stir them into the flour with a measuring spoon.
- Stir the batter all together just until moistened.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with oats if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes. Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes before removing to cooling racks.
-We like to add 1/2-3/4 a cup of dried fruit and/or nuts to the batter before adding the dry ingredients.
-Without optional ingredients, you get 10 muffins. With added fruit and nuts you get 12 muffins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g