Beef Stroganoff Sandwich – This hearty open faced sandwich makes a quick meal. Just brown up some ground beef and chop some vegetables and you’re within minutes of dinner!
This is yet another recipe I made in an attempt to use up our garden produce. It is easy and tasty, but it is kind of a challenge to eat without making a mess. When you pick it up, the tomatoes and peppers have a tendency to jump off of the sandwich and onto your plate.
So if you prefer, you can just cut it up with a fork. That’s what I do for my younger children to ward off any fits of anger and frustration at the dinner table.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF STROGANOFF SANDWICHES
- ground beef (I prefer to use extra lean ground beef.)
- onion (I use regular yellow onions, but sweet white onions are great as well.)
- black pepper
- garlic powder (Makes the dish super easy to prepare, but you can use fresh garlic, minced, if you prefer.)
- sour cream (I like to use light or fat free sour cream to make this dish a little healthier, but that is up to you.)
- french bread (I love using my homemade French bread when I have time, but I usually just pick up a loaf at the grocery store.)
- tomatoes (I like using roma tomatoes because they have less juice and seeds. If you use regular tomatoes, squeeze out some of the juice or the sandwich can become a soggy mess.)
- green peppers
- cheddar cheese
COOK MEAT: In a large skillet, brown the hamburger and onion. Drain off any fat, then stir in the seasonings and sour cream. Heat through, then remove from the heat.
CUTTING: Slice your french bread in half lengthwise and place on a cookie sheet. Dice your tomatoes and green peppers, and grate your cheese.
ASSEMBLE: Spread the hot ground beef mixture evenly over the bread. Top with grated cheese.
COOK: Broil on low for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese melts.
GARNISH AND SERVE: Sprinkle the veggies over the melted cheese. Slice and serve.
If you prefer, you can spread the veggies on top of the meat mixture, and sprinkle the cheese on top. Broil till cheese is melted. Half of my family prefers it this way, so I usually do half the loaf with the veggies cooked, and the other half with them sprinkled on top.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER STROGANOFF SANDWICHES
- If you like mushrooms, stir some sliced mushrooms into the ground beef mixture with the sour cream.
- To spice things up, you could use pepper jack cheese. And of course you could also use colby jack or mozzarella cheese in place of the cheddar.
- Instead of using a cut loaf of French bread, you could use hamburger buns or bagels.
- No-Boil Easy Lasagna
- Ground Beef Taco Cabbage Skillet
- Bacon Cheeseburger Pie
- Crispy Southwest Wraps
- Ground Beef Goulash with Rice
BEEF STROGANOFF SANDWICH
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups light sour cream
- 1 loaf of french bread, sliced lengthwise
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 3 large roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- Brown beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat; drain off any fat.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and sour cream. Stir well meat is well coated, then remove from heat.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise and place on a cookie sheet. Spread meat mixture on the bread. Top with grated cheese.
- Broil on low heat for about 5-10 minutes or till cheese melts.
- Sprinkle tomatoes and green peppers over the melted cheese. Slice and serve immediately
If you prefer, you can sprinkle the tomatoes and peppers on top of the meat mixture, and sprinkle the cheese on last. Cook as directed above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 549Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 842mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 42g
(originally published 11/21/2008, updated March 2020)