Loaded with ground beef, black beans, green chilies, and two kinds of cheese, these Beef Taquitos are incredibly tasty and so easy to make! Whip up a double batch and freeze the extras for another day.
They are filling enough that you can serve them for dinner, but they also double as tasty appetizers.
GROUND BEEF TAQUITOS RECIPE
No complicated meat cooking for this recipe, just brown up your ground beef in a skillet and add all the other ingredients. A bit of cream cheese binds everything together, and makes them so creamy and delicious!
Traditional taquitos are often fried, but these homemade beef taquitos are simply baked in the oven. No messy frying, and they are lower in fat.
Either way, these beef and cheese taquitos are sure to become a family favorite!
What kind of tortillas should I use for taquitos?
You can use corn tortillas for a traditional taquito, but my family prefers them with flour tortillas. Which technically makes them beef flautas. Some people call them rolled tacos.
But trust me, no one will care what you call them. They will be too busy stuffing their faces. 🙂
HOW TO MAKE BAKED BEEF TAQUITOS
- PREP: Spray two baking sheets with non stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- FILLING – Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cream cheese and stir until melted. Add the black beans, green chilies, minced onion, salt, pepper, and shredded cheese. Cook and stir till heated through.
- ROLLING – Spread about 1/4 cup of filling down the center of a tortilla. Roll up tight and place seam side down on the prepared pans. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas.
- BAKING – Spray each taquito with cooking spray and if desired, sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden browned and crispy.
- SERVE – Serve immediately while hot. We like them with guacamole on the side, but salsa and sour cream are also great.
CAN I MAKE THESE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can prep and wrap them a few hours or even a day ahead. Place them in a container and cover tightly with plastic wrap or a lid. Chill until ready to use. If they are cold, they will take a little longer to bake.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER BEEF TAQUITOS?
If you have any leftovers, they are wonderful heated up the next day. They will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container. You can heat them in the microwave, or in the oven in a pan lightly covered with foil.
You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. I have frozen them both baked and unbaked. Both ways work, but I prefer to freeze them before they are baked. That way they don’t dry out.
- The cream cheese will melt and incorporate into the ground beef much faster if it is at room temperature.
- If using corn tortillas, it is much easier to roll them if you warm them in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Make sure to leave space between the taquitos so air can circulate around them. If they are too close together, they won’t crisp up as well. That’s why I use 2 baking sheets.
- For extra crispy taquitos, you can broil them for 2-3 minutes.
- Don’t overfill the taquitos or the filling will leak out as they bake.
- Instead of black beans, you can use refried beans.
- Use any kind of cheese you like. We’ve also tried them with cheddar and pepper jack, or mozzarella. All varieties are tasty!
- For more heat, you can double the green chilies, or stir in some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- They are also tasty with some minced garlic added to the filling.
- You can brush the tops with olive oil or vegetable oil instead of using cooking spray.
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
- Taco Pie Recipe
- Chicken Flautas Recipe
- Mexican Lasagna with Tortillas
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Black Bean Chicken
- Chicken Fajita Rice
- Easy Ground Beef Enchiladas
HOMEMADE TAQUITOS WITH BEEF AND CHEESE
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 tsp dry minced onion
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 cup colby cheese
- 15 8" flour tortillas
- Add ground beef to a large skillet and brown over medium heat. Drain off any fat.
- Stir in the cream cheese until melted and smooth. Add the beans, chilis, onion, cumin, salt, pepper, and grated cheese. Cook and stir till melted.
- Place 1/4 cup of filling down the center of a flour tortilla. Roll up the tortilla tightly and place seam side down on a baking sheet lined with silicone liners or sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas.
- Spray each taquito with cooking spray. If desired, sprinkle with kosher salt (not regular table salt).
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve hot with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 411mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g