Caramel Apple Crisp . . . tart apples and caramel with a crunchy oat crust, topped with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with more caramel. A perfect fall dessert!
Life was hectic last week, and I needed to take a little break from blogging, but I am back to share this recipe for caramel apple crisp. It seems so very crazy to me that Thanksgiving is THIS WEEK! How the heck did that happen?
With all the sickness at our house, it feels like we just skipped over November. Hopefully we got it all out of our systems and we can spend the holidays healthy.
I had planned on doing a bunch of amazing Thanksgiving recipes, but alas, it has not happened. I’m just hoping that I can get my food assignments done for Thanksgiving day! I did make a really yummy treat last night though, so I wanted to share it.
My family loves apple crisp, but I wanted to try something a little different. We love caramel apples (who doesn’t?), so I figured apple crisp with caramel would be a hit.
I tweaked a recipe I found in an old cookbook, and we thought it turned out amazing. It is perfect for fall, and I actually think it would be a great addition to a Thanksgiving dessert line-up. Just make sure you have vanilla ice cream. 🙂
How to make Caramel Apple Crisp:
-Peel and slice your apple, then toss them with flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
-Melt your caramels and milk and drizzle them over the apple mixture. (or use homemade caramel sauce)
-Make a buttery oat topping, spread it over the top, and bake at 350° for about 45 minutes. That’s it!
What kind of apples are best for apple crisp?
– I like using Granny Smith apples, but Jonathan, Honeycrisp, and Braeburn apples also work really well. Golden Delicious apples can be used in a pinch.
Looking for a few more perfect fall desserts? Give these a try:
Caramel Apple Crisp
- 8 cups sliced apples (5-6 large apples, we like Granny Smith or Honey Crisp)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 14 oz caramels (2 1/4 cups)
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oats
- 3/4 cup butter, soft
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Peel and thinly slice the apples. Toss with the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Pour into a greased 9x13" pan; set aside.
- Mix caramels and milk in a glass bowl. Microwave until melted, stirring occasionally. Drizzle about half of the caramel sauce over the apples.
- Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl till crumbly and spread evenly over apples and caramel.
- Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes, or till topping is golden brown and apples are tender.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and the remaining caramel sauce.
-If I have homemade caramel sauce on hand, I use it in place of the caramels and 6 Tbsp of milk.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 622Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 103gFiber: 5gSugar: 70gProtein: 7g