This is the BEST Dutch Apple Pie recipe ever! I have never, ever tasted one that is as good as this. It will knock your socks off!
The apples on our tree are ripe, so here is the first in a series of apple recipes I will be posting. No one in my family is really fond of pie crust, so I always make a crumb topping for my apple pies.
Then while searching online, I found a recipe at Your Homebased Mom that didn’t have a traditional pie crust at all, it just used the buttery crumbs on the bottom! I wanted to try it, but among other things it called for self rising flour, which I don’t have. So I tweaked the recipe and came up with this pie.
What’s the difference between apple pie and Dutch apple pie?
Dutch apple pie has a crumbly topping typically made from flour, butter, and sugar. It is sweeter than the pastry crust that tops traditional apple pie.
What are the best apples to use for baking pies?
Tart, firm apples work best for apple pies and other baked goods. I like to use Granny Smith, Jonathon, and Golden Delicious apples. Macintosh apples also work well. I actually think it’s best to combine two types of apples!
How to Make Dutch Apple Pie
- baking powder
- egg yolk
- apples (I like Granny Smith apples)
For this apple pie, you don’t even need to roll out a crust, so it couldn’t be more simple!
- You make a crumb mixture out of flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg yolk, and melted butter.
- You press half of the crumbs into a deep dish 9-inch pie pan.
- Top with sliced apples coated with cinnamon and sugar.
- Then sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture on top.
- Now just pop the pie in the oven. So easy!
How do you know when Dutch apple pie is done?
Bake the pie till the crumbs are golden brown and the apples are tender. The filling will be thick and bubbly.
Does apple pie need to be refrigerated?
DELICIOUS HOMEMADE PIES:
- Buttermilk Pie
- German Chocolate Pie
- Easy Pumpkin Pie (with sweetened condensed milk)
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Butterfinger Pie
- Peanut Butter Pie
MORE TASTY APPLE RECIPES:
Best Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 6-7 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- For crust, mix all ingredients till crumbly. Take half of the crumbs and press them into the bottom and up the sides of a Deep Dish Pie Plate.
- Combine apples, sugar, and cinnamon and pour into crust. (You should have a mound in the middle-don’t worry. It will shrink as it bakes.)
- Spread the remaining crumbs over the top of the apples. Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or till apples are tender. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Roll yourself away from the table. Promise to eat healthier tomorrow.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 80gFiber: 5gSugar: 50gProtein: 4g
(Originally posted 10/28/2008. Photos updated 11/2015.)