Looking for a chicken dinner recipe that everyone can agree on? This loaded chicken and potatoes fits the bill! With chunks of chicken and potatoes smothered in bacon and melted cheese, it is sure to become a new favorite.
This is one of my go-to recipes when I take dinner to a family, and it is always well received. I haven’t met anyone who doesn’t love it!
EASY CHICKEN POTATO BAKE
I think we can all agree that chicken and potatoes go together like peanut butter & jelly or burgers & fries. At my house, when grilled chicken is on the menu, we almost always serve it with a side of potatoes.
In this tasty chicken and potato casserole, they are combined into one tasty main dish. And when you coat them with flavorful seasonings, then top them off with bacon and cheese, you have a dinner that is guaranteed to bring smiles to the table!
We especially love this chicken dish during the cold weather months. It warms up the kitchen and smells amazing as it bakes. Not to mention how hearty and comforting it is after a long cold day.
You will love how easy this casserole is to prepare. Just chop up your chicken and potatoes, then coat them with a simple seasoning. Dinner is in the oven in about fifteen minutes!
HOW TO MAKE LOADED CHICKEN POTATO CASSEROLE
- boneless, skinless chicken breast (You could use boneless, skinless thighs if you prefer.)
- potatoes (I’ve used both russet and red potatoes with great results. You can either peel them or leave the skin on.)
- olive oil
- smoked paprika (Smoked paprika adds a wonderful flavor, but you can substitute regular paprika in a pinch.)
- garlic powder (You can use minced garlic instead, but I find that garlic powder coats the chicken and potatoes more evenly.)
- black pepper
- cheddar cheese (or another cheese if you prefer)
- bacon (I’ve use both bacon I’ve cooked at home, and the precooked bacon bits from Costco. Both work well, but the precooked bacon saves a lot of time!)
- green onions
- PREP WORK: Cook and crumble the bacon (or use precooked bacon bits). Spray a 9×13″ baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Dice the potatoes and chicken. I like to dice the potatoes into smaller chunks because they take longer to cook than the chicken. Smaller pieces help them cook faster so the chicken isn’t overdone.
- COAT: Place the cubed chicken and potatoes in a large bowl. Whisk together the olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over the chicken and potatoes, and stir till well coated.
- BAKE: Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake uncovered at 400 for 50-55 minutes , stirring every 20 minutes or so, until potatoes are tender.
- GARNISH: Remove from the oven. Add the cheese, bacon, and green onion to the top of the cooked dish. Return the casserole to the oven and bake for another five minutes or until cheese is melted.
LEFTOVER CHICKEN AND POTATOES?
Leftovers will store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days if you cover them well or place in an airtight container. They are so good for lunch the next day! We just pop individual servings into the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Now that my husband is working from home, if we happen to have any left, I have to fight him the next day for this loaded chicken and potato casserole. I kid, I kid. We share.
- Spice things up by adding some red pepper flakes or hot sauce to the chicken potato mixture. You could even top the casserole with pepper jack cheese.
- Instead of sprinkling with sliced green peppers, you can use diced onion or even dry minced onion in the casserole. Just stir them in with the chicken and potatoes.
TASTY POTATO DISHES:
MORE CHICKEN DINNER RECIPES:
- Chicken Fajita Skillet
- Baked Orange Chicken
- Chicken Flautas (baked not fried)
- Chinese Chicken Cabbage Salad
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Maple Dijon Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
LOADED CHICKEN AND POTATOES
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- 5 potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Place cubed chicken and potatoes in a large bowl.
- Whisk together oil and seasonings and add to chicken mixture. Stir till well combined.
- Pour into a greased 9x13" pan. Bake uncovered at 400° for 50-55 minutes or till potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle cheese, bacon, and green onion on top. Bake 5 more minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 635mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 38g
If you are in a dinner rut, give this easy loaded chicken and potatoes a try. It is so tasty that I bet it will end up on your regular dinner rotation!