Soft, chewy, crunchy, buttery – these chocolate chip cookies have it all!
My four year old had to take a snack to preschool that started with “C”. Of course I could have done carrots, or crackers, or cucumbers, but who wants to be the boring snack mom? Not me! So we made these:
Chocolate chip cookies in the shape of a C. That’s a quadruple “C” in case you didn’t notice. No way could I have come up with something that cool using veggies! In case you are wondering how I made them, I just rolled the dough into a snake shape and then put it on the cookie sheet in the correct letter form. Nothing fancy.
Of course, they are just as tasty if you just scoop them onto your cookie sheet. I love them best with toasted pecans, but you can leave out the nuts if you prefer.
I have tried lots of chocolate chip cookie recipes over the years, but this is my favorite basic recipe. I’m not sure if it is just the ratio of ingredients, or if the “dissolve the soda in hot water” part does some magical thing, but they are awesome. So if you have a basic recipe that you think is better, by all means, send it to me. 🙂
These cookies freeze really well, so I like to make up a double batch and freeze half of them. After they are completely cooled, I just place them in heavy duty freezer ziplock bags.
As we remove the cookies, I can squeeze out the air, so they seem to stay fresh longer. They will last at least 4 months that way. When I want to serve one, I either let them thaw at room temperature, or just pop one in the microwave for twenty to thirty seconds.
LOVE HOMEMADE COOKIES? TRY THESE:
- Chocolate Chip Andes Mint Cookies
- Pudding Cookies
- Triple Chip Cookies
- M&M Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Brookie Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies
FAMILY FAVORITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp hot water
- 1 tsp soda
- 3 cups plus 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups chocolate chips (I use half milk/half semi-sweet)
- 1 cup chopped pecans or other nuts (optional but yummy)
- Cream butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Dissolve soda in hot water and add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in dry ingredients, chips, and nuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto silpat lined or lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Let cool for 1-2 minutes on pan before removing to cooling racks.
I think that half butter/half margarine makes the best cookie, but you can feel free to use all of either one.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 1g