Chocolate Dipped Macaroons — These delicious cookies are a coconut lover’s dream, and they are so easy to make!
Last week was the first week in the history of my blog that I only posted one recipe. Yikes! Just shows how crazy my life has been. I spent a lot of time helping with the Book Fair at my sons’ school, and managed to pick up a head cold. Not only did I not have time for blogging, I didn’t have much time for cooking. We ate a lot of sandwiches last week! My boys are really looking forward to Thanksgiving. Ah, real food at last. 😉
This recipe for macaroons has been in my file for a few months. I tried some chocolate dipped macaroons at a wedding and I loved them. I had never made macaroons before because I didn’t think my boys would like them. If they didn’t eat them, then I would be forced to eat the entire batch. Good for the taste buds, not good for my hips. Anyway, after trying them dipped in chocolate, I knew I had to re-create them at home.
I found a recipe that called for sweetened condensed milk and figured it had to be good, ‘cuz I love that stuff. I was right. These were darn yummy. Not as pretty as the ones at the wedding, but they sure were delicious. And unfortunately, um, I mean fortunately, all four of my boys loved them. There were no leftovers. Not a crumb.
These cookies are so simple and easy to make. You don’t even need a mixer! I highly recommend baking them on cookie sheets that have been lined with silicone baking sheets, or at the very least parchment paper. They are pretty sticky!
Love coconut? Here are a few more recipes to try:
MORE TASTY COOKIES:
- Iced Pumpkin Cookies
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Chocolate Cookie Cups (with peanut butter filling)
- Italian Cookies
- White Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Edible Cookie Dough
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
COCONUT MACAROONS DIPPED IN CHOCOLATE
- 2/3 cup flour
- 5 1/2 cups coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- For dipping:
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp shortening or vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir till well blended. I like to just use my hands.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto silpat lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Melt chocolate and oil in a small glass bowl in the microwave at half power. Dip macaroons halfway into chocolate and place on silicone baking sheets or parchment paper till set.
It takes a few hours for the chocolate to set completely, so plan accordingly.