Last week was the first week in the history of my blog that I only posted one recipe. Yikes! Just shows how crazy my life has been. I spent a lot of time helping with the Book Fair at my sons’ school, and managed to pick up a head cold. Not only did I not have time for blogging, I didn’t have much time for cooking. We ate a lot of sandwiches last week! My boys are really looking forward to Thanksgiving. Ah, real food at last. 😉
This recipe for macaroons has been in my file for a few months. I tried some chocolate dipped macaroons at a wedding and I loved them. I had never made macaroons before because I didn’t think my boys would like them. If they didn’t eat them, then I would be forced to eat the entire batch. Good for the taste buds, not good for my hips. Anyway, after trying them dipped in chocolate, I knew I had to re-create them at home.
I found a recipe that called for sweetened condensed milk and figured it had to be good, ‘cuz I love that stuff. I was right. These were darn yummy. Not as pretty as the ones at the wedding, but they sure were delicious. And unfortunately, um, I mean fortunately, all four of my boys loved them. There were no leftovers. Not a crumb.
These cookies are so simple and easy to make. You don’t even need a mixer! I highly recommend baking them on cookie sheets that have been lined with silicone baking sheets, or at the very least parchment paper. They are pretty sticky!
COCONUT MACAROONS DIPPED IN CHOCOLATE
- 2/3 cup flour
- 5 1/2 cups coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- For dipping:
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp shortening or vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir till well blended. I like to just use my hands.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto silpat lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Melt chocolate and oil in a small glass bowl in the microwave at half power. Dip macaroons halfway into chocolate and place on silicone baking sheets or parchment paper till set.
It takes a few hours for the chocolate to set completely, so plan accordingly.
Love coconut? Here are a few more recipes to try: