Christmas Scattergories – this free printable game is fun for family game night, and is also a perfect group game for Christmas parties!
We love playing games together over the Christmas break. Another one of our favorites is Don’t Eat Santa. It’s enjoyed by kids of all ages!
I have loved Scattergories since I was a teenager, so I thought it would be fun to come up with some holiday versions. I finished the one with a Christmas theme first, but I’m working on a Thanksgiving version as well. (Didn’t quite get it done in time for 2019, but I’ll have it ready next year!)
My favorite way to play Scattergories is the traditional way with a huge alphabet dice and different lists of categories. That’s the way I played it growing up, and while it is a little more challenging, I think it’s more fun.
But I am also including a more simple version where everyone has one list and has to think of an item for every letter, anything goes. You can play whichever version works best for you!
PRINTABLE CHRISTMAS SCATTERGORIES GAME (traditional rules)
- Printable game pages
- Pencils or pens
- Alphabet dice (or you can write letters on pieces of paper and draw them out of a bowl)
HOW TO PLAY SCATTERGORIES (with dice)
If you are playing with younger children, this version is a little easier. There are no categories for the words, just think of any Christmas related word for each letter of the alphabet.
If you are helping out in a classroom Christmas party, this version works great for the younger grades!
SIMPLE CHRISTMAS ALPHABET SCATTERGORIES (without dice)
- Printable alphabet scattergories page
- Pen or pencil for each player
1.Print out the alphabet page and give every player a copy.
2. Set the timer for 3-8 minutes, depending on the age of the players. (For younger children, set the timer for longer.)
3. Write down as many Christmas words as you can think of from A-Z. Try to choose unique words that no one else will think of.
4. When the timer beeps, each player shares their answers. You get a point for each word that no other player used. Whoever got the most unique words wins the game.
Note: Like the version above, you can choose to give two points for double letter words like “candy cane” for the letter C.
MORE PRINTABLE GAMES
- Christmas Songs Pictionary
- Don’t Eat Frosty
- Mixed Up Christmas Carols
- Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt
FREE CHRISTMAS PRINTABLES
- Gratitude Christmas Gift Tags
- Feed the Hungry Christmas Basket
- Christmas Family Activities Countdown
- Merry Christmas Gift Tags
CLICK BELOW TO ACCESS THE CHRISTMAS SCATTERGORIES PDF:
SEE ALL MY CHRISTMAS POSTS.
Stocking clipart from cleanpng.com.
These are great idea and I am so impressed with your creativity! Thank you for sharing them and for not making me buy or sign up for anything:) I can’t wait to play these!!
You are so welcome! Hope you had a great time playing with your family! 🙂
Love the Christmas Scattegories! How original.
These are so great! Thank you so much for sharing. It’s very generous of you! Merry Christmas!
Choice Furniture Superstore
I like your post very much and what an amazing game i definately try this and i am very excited to play with my cousins. Thanks for sharing Kara.