Bacon Cheese Ball – loaded with two kinds of cheeses, bacon, green onions, and herbs, this easy cheese ball will make you a rock star at any gathering! It is a real crowd pleaser because the flavor is out of this world.
BEST CHEESE BALL RECIPE FOR GAME DAY
In my opinion, you can’t have a Superbowl party without at least one food that includes bacon. Can you even call yourself a football fan if you don’t like bacon? I kid. I kid.
But seriously, this easy cheese ball is loaded with bacon, shredded cheese, and green onions. Every bite is a flavor explosion, and people can’t get enough of it!
Of course even if you aren’t a sports fan, you are going to love this cheese ball recipe with bacon. I made it for our pre-Thanksgiving day snacking, and it was finished off in a flash.
I like to make homemade cheese balls with Neufchatel cheese (which is just light cream cheese), because it has a softer texture. It’s never fun having your cracker break when you try to spread hard cheese ball on it.
Don’t worry, light cream cheese doesn’t taste light. I don’t know how they perform that magic, but they do. Trust me.
I rolled mine in nuts because I like the crunch they add, but if you wanted to, you could roll it in more bacon bits.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR BACON CHEDDAR CHEESE BALL:
- cream cheese (either full fat or light)
- sour cream
- finely grated cheddar cheese (Make sure it’s finely grated for a smoother cheese ball.)
- parmesan cheese (real grated parmesan, not the stuff in the green can)
- bacon, cooked crispy (For a shortcut, you can use real Hormel bacon bits. I like to crisp them up in the oven or microwave before using them.)
- green onions
- dried parsley
- garlic powder and garlic salt (Yes, it’s best with both.)
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper (Just a pinch- it doesn’t make the cheese ball spicy.)
- finely chopped pecans (These are for rolling the cheese ball in; you can use another type of nuts, or bacon bits if you prefer.)
Making cheeseballs at home is actually really easy. Just soften your cream cheese and beat all the ingredients together till well combined.
You want to chill the mixture to make it easier to roll into balls. I like to place the mixture on plastic wrap, then roll it together and form a ball inside the plastic wrap. Chill it, unwrap it, and roll it in nuts. So simple, so tasty!
I like to roll my cheese balls in finely chopped nuts, and I love using this nut chopper. It makes nuts that are tiny and uniform in size.
HOW LONG WILL A CHEESE BALL KEEP?
Cheeseballs will store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, so they are a perfect make ahead recipe for parties! Just wrap them tightly with plastic wrap.
If you are making them more than a day or two ahead, I recommend chilling them before you roll them in nuts. After a few days, the nuts aren’t as crunchy. It’s not a huge difference though, so it’s optional.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESE BALLS LIKE A PRO:
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before you start. It is best to leave it out on the counter for several hours. This ensures a creamy cheese ball free of lumps.
- For a softer cheese ball that doesn’t break crackers when you try to scoop it, I recommend using light cream cheese. It is softer than full fat cream cheese, but tastes just as good.
- To keep your hands clean when rolling the cheese ball, first wrap it in plastic wrap. After you chill it, just unwrap it and roll it in chopped nuts.
LOVE BACON? TRY THESE RECIPES:
- Chicken Bacon Pizza
- Dijon Chicken
- Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
- Bacon Breakfast Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Bacon Soup
MORE TASTY APPETIZERS:
- Cinnamon Roasted Almonds
- Pimento Cheese Ball
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Fruit Dip
- Sausage Dip
- Cheese Ball Bites
- Spinach Dip
WANT TO TRY THIS BACON RANCH CHEESE BALL?
PIN IT TO YOUR APPETIZER, PARTY OR HOLIDAY BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
BACON CHEESE BALL RECIPE
- 1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened (I use light)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 6-7 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Beat cream cheese in a mixing bowl till smooth. Beat in sour cream.
- Add remaining ingredients except pecans and mix till thoroughly combined.
- Roll into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least an hour to blend flavors.
- Unwrap the cheese ball and roll in chopped pecans. Serve with crackers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 460mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g