German Chocolate Ice Cream Pie- all the flavors of German chocolate cake made into a decadent frosty treat that is melt in your mouth delicious!
Ginny’s is celebrating pie holidays all month long, and I am thrilled to partner with them for this post. Today is National Ice Cream Pie Day, and I couldn’t wait to come up with a yummy recipe. Because hello- ice cream.
Ice cream is great all on its own, but serve it in pie form and you have a spectacular dessert that will “wow” everyone lucky enough to get a taste. We celebrated my husband’s birthday earlier this month, so I let him choose the flavor of the ice cream pie. He chose German chocolate cake, and I was happy to oblige.
This pie turned out even more scrumptious than I imagined! The chocolate crumb crust has added coconut, and it is so good I can’t wait to try it again for other pies. It smelled amazing when it was baking, and all my boys came running to see what I was making. I think they would have eaten the crust plain if I would have let them. But I assured them that the pie would be worth the wait.
The filling is perfectly chocolatey, and so rich and creamy. Then of course there’s the layers of caramel, coconut, and pecans. So yummy! All of the flavors combine to make one pie that is out of this world. I am seriously drooling just thinking about it.
I was actually sad when the last piece was gone. I was kinda wishing I would have hid the leftovers in the back recesses of the freezer so I could have had them all to myself. I can’t even tell you how much I loved this pie.
If you love German chocolate cake, you must give this German Chocolate Ice Cream Pie a try as soon as humanly possible. It is phenomenal!
Disclosure: I was supplied with product for this post, but I was not compensated.
FROZEN GERMAN CREAM PIE
- 14 Oreos, finely crushed
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
Caramel Coconut Layer:
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk (I used half of a 14oz can)
- 4 oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- For crust: Melt coconut oil in a glass bowl. Stir in the crushed Oreos and coconut till well mixed. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan. Bake at 375° for about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Caramel Coconut Layer: Combine coconut, pecans, and butter in a skillet. Cook over medium heat until coconut is toasted, stirring often. Cool completely.
- Filling: Combine sweetened condensed milk and chopped chocolate in a glass bowl. Cook at half power in the microwave till chocolate is melted, stirring often. Cool to room temperature.
- Whip cream till soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat till stiff. Fold in cooled chocolate mixture.
- To assemble: Pour half of the filling into the crust. Drizzle half of the caramel sauce on top. Sprinkle half of the toasted nuts/coconut over the caramel.
- Freeze for 20-30 minutes or till set. Spread remaining filling over the caramel layer.
- Reserve about 2 Tbsp caramel for garnish, drizzle the rest over the pie. Top with the remaining nuts and coconut. Cover and freeze for 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer 15-20 minutes before serving. Slice and serve with reserved caramel sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 667Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 345mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 4gSugar: 68gProtein: 6g