This Ham Potato Chowder uses milk instead of cream, but it is so creamy and delicious that you won’t miss all that fat. It has become a favorite at our house!
My boys had been begging for clam chowder, so last week I decided to be a nice mom and comply. I got all ready to make it and realized I was missing an ingredient. Don’t you just hate that!
It is at least 15 minutes to the nearest store, and I didn’t have time for that, so I had to improvise. I needed a recipe that was similar to clam chowder. I found this recipe for Ham Potato Chowder and hoped that we would like it.
Oh yah, it was a winner! My boys ate their bowls so fast they didn’t even notice that you could put cheese on top. I had cheese in my bowl and I thought it was just perfect.
Hearty creamy soup with melty cheese on top. Oh my. Pure yummy. I will be making this recipe often this winter I’m sure.
- 3 1/2 cups diced potatoes (4-5 potatoes)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup diced ham
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp dry dill (optional)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In a large soup pot, boil vegetables in water, salt, and bouillon till tender, about 10 minutes. Add pepper and ham.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Slowly whisk in the milk and keep whisking till smooth. Cook over medium heat till bubbly, stirring constantly. Boil for at least one minute to get rid of the flour taste.
- Pour white sauce into the vegetable mixture and stir till smooth. Add the dill if desired. Serve with grated cheddar cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 804mgCarbohydrates: 23gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 11g