Need a last minute dessert to serve company? These marble brownies whip up in minutes, and everyone loves them! Who can resist a homemade brownie topped with ice cream and hot fudge?
I learned how to make them when I was a girl, and my favorite part was swirling the white and brown batters together at the end. Those swirls look so pretty on a plate, and the brownies are soft and chewy.
My mom used to make these pretty swirl brownies often, especially if we were having company for dinner. They look like you fussed, but are quite easy to make. They are moist and chewy with just the right amount of chocolate.
This swirl brownie recipe doesn’t call for cream cheese, so if you are looking for that, check out my incredible Cheesecake Brownies, or even my Oreo Cheesecake Brownies.
(To skip my tips and tricks and just see the full recipe card, simply scroll to the bottom of the post.)
How do you make marble brownies from scratch?
It’s easier than you think!
- granulated sugar
- very soft butter (margarine will do in a pinch)
- vanilla extract (You use a full tablespoon for this recipe, so a good quality vanilla does make a difference.)
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- unsweetened chocolate (sold in bar form, usually near the chocolate chips)
- Make sure your butter is very soft, it can even be almost melted. Melt the unsweetened chocolate in a small glass bowl in the microwave at half power, stirring every 30 seconds till smooth.
- Spray a 9×13″ pan with non stick cooking spray; set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the soft butter and sugar till smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract and eggs. Dump in the flour, then make a well in the flour. Add the salt and baking powder to the well, then mix them into the flour. Stir all ingredients together till combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into a small bowl; add the melted chocolate and stir till smooth.
- Drop light batter in a checkerboard pattern into your prepared pan. Fill in the spaces with the chocolate batter, then swirl lightly with a butter knife.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes, then cut into squares.
- Serve brownies warm with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge for an extra special treat!
HOW TO STORE BROWNIES?
If covered tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil or stored in an airtight container, these brownies will last 3-4 days at room temperature.
MORE HOMEMADE BROWNIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Cheesecake Brownies
- Zucchini Brownies
- Best Chewy Brownies
- Cherry Cheesecake Brownies
- S’more Brownies
- Nutella Brownies
- Peppermint Fluff Brownies
- Coconut Brownies
- Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- German Chocolate Brownies
- Mint Brownies
- Caramel Brownies
EASY MARBLE BROWNIES RECIPE
Marble Swirl Brownies
Vanilla and chocolate brownie batter swirled together to make one pretty and delicious treat!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup soft butter, very soft
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13" baking dish with non stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt chocolate at half power in the microwave in a small glass bowl; set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl till fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs. Stir in dry ingredients.
- Spoon half of the batter into another bowl; stir chocolate into remaining batter.
- Drop chocolate batter in checkerboard pattern in a greased 9x13" pan. Fill spaces with light batter. Swirl batter lightly with a knife to marble.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve brownies with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information does not include ice cream or hot fudge sauce.
(Originally published 12/1/2008, updated June 2020)
These came out delicious! Love all the swirls! Kids already want to make more.
This looks so delicious and tasty! Can’t wait to try this!
These are so fun! My kids had fun making swirly designs with the batter.