Orange Cranberry Scones with White Chocolate . . . these tasty scones turn out perfectly tender every time. A favorite scone recipe!
I have been on a scone kick lately. I seriously love the things! They are so easy to whip together, and the flavor combinations are endless. I am sure having fun coming up with some yummy scone variations.
I found a base recipe on the King Arthur Flour recipe website that is absolutely delicious. After you put the dough on the baking sheet, the recipe calls for freezing them for 30 minutes. I tried it both ways, and the slightly frozen scones really do bake up higher and flakier. But if you don’t have the time, they will still be amazing.
I added white chocolate, Craisins, and a bit of orange zest to the basic recipe. They turned out super yummy. Like so yummy that I hid a few of them away so that I wouldn’t have to share them with my kids. The sugared tops make them extra tasty, and so pretty!
They also freeze really well. I just stick them in ziplock bags and just pull one out and zap it in the microwave for a quick snack or breakfast. Yummo!
Orange Cranberry Scones with White Chocolate
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup very cold or frozen butter
- 1 1/4 cups Craisins
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk (may need a little more)
- Milk and sugar for tops of scones
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Grate in the butter and stir till coated. (Or you can cut it in with a pastry blender.) Add the Craisins and white chocolate.
- In a small bowl, combine orange zest, eggs, vanilla, and milk. Add to dry ingredients and stir lightly till just moistened. If you need to add a little more milk you can. Don't over-mix!
- Divide dough in half and pat into 2 circles that are about 5" across. Cut each into 6 wedges. Place on cookie sheets. (Tip: For great texture and scones that rise up instead of spreading out, freeze the scones on the pan for 30 minutes.)
- Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a preheated 425° for about 18-20 minutes or till golden brown. We think they are best served warm.
Love this recipe for orange cranberry scones? Give these scone recipes a try:
To see all my muffin and scone recipes, click HERE.