Overnight Strawberry Cream Cheese Rolls . . . do the prep work the night before, and have fresh from the oven sweet rolls in the morning.
I love looking for new variations for my basic sweet roll recipe. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good cinnamon roll, but sometimes it’s nice to change things up a little.
I love the combination of berries and cream cheese, and I just knew that together they would make one tasty sweet roll. Boy was I right. The berries add sweetness and the tangy cream cheese is the perfect compliment. These rolls are outrageous!
I don’t think there’s anything better than a fresh from the oven roll, but who wants to wake up at 5 am to make them? Not me! The best thing about these rolls is that you do all the hard work the night before, then pop them in the oven in the morning. Sweet rolls for breakfast, and you don’t have to sacrifice sleep!
How to make overnight strawberry cream cheese rolls:
After you whip up a batch of basic yeast dough, roll it out and spread it with the cream cheese mixture, then the strawberry filling. Roll up and pinch the edge to seal it. Don’t forget to set aside 1/3 cup of the cream cheese mixture to use in the icing.
Cut the log into 12 rolls and place in a well greased 9×13″ pan. Some of the filling will ooze out as you cut the rolls, so just spoon it on top of each roll as you go.
Now cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap, and place it in the refrigerator to chill overnight (8-10 hours). Take the rolls out and let them raise in a warm place for about an hour, or till doubled in size.
After they are baked till nice and golden brown, you drizzle them with a sweet cream cheese icing. Oh my.
Can I use different fruit in these sweet rolls?
-Absolutely! You could use raspberry jam and raspberries if you prefer. You could also try blueberry jam with blueberries. Feel free to experiment and let me know how they turn out!
If you love strawberry cheesecake, you’ve gotta give these overnight strawberry cream cheese rolls a try!
Love sweet rolls? Here are a couple more mouthwatering recipes:
Strawberry Cream Cheese Rolls
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour (more or less)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup finely diced strawberries
- 1/3 cup reserved cream cheese mixture
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp milk
- splash of vanilla
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in milk, melted butter, salt, eggs, and 1 cup of the flour. Beat till smooth. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead till smooth.
- Let dough rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Beat cream cheese till soft and fluffy. Add 3/4 cup powdered sugar and beat till smooth. SET ASIDE ABOUT 1/3 CUP OF FILLING. In another small bowl, combine the jam and diced strawberries.
- Roll out dough on a greased counter to a rectangle about 10x15". Spread on the cream cheese mixture, then the berries. Roll up and pinch the edge to seal.
- Cut log into 12 slices and place in a well greased 9x13" pan. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Add the 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla to the reserved cream cheese mixture. Beat till smooth, adding enough milk to get a thin glaze. Then place icing in a ziplock bag in the fridge.
- Let rolls chill in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Remove rolls and bag of icing from the fridge. Place the rolls in a warm spot and let them rise till doubled (about an hour.)
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or till done in the middle. You may need to cover them with foil to prevent over-browning.
- Cut a corner in the ziplock bag and glaze rolls while still warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 451Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 8g