Parmesan Roasted Asparagus . . . this is the tastiest way to prepare asparagus, and it is so simple! Only five ingredients, and even my kids love it!
I tried asparagus once when I was young. It was tough and stringy and I thought “Yuck, how can people like this stuff? It is awful!” And I never tried it again.
Last year I was talking to a few of my friends about gardening and the topic of asparagus came up. I mentioned my bad experience with it and they all told me that I had eaten over ripe asparagus. That it really can be delicious and that I should give it another chance.
When I saw asparagus on sale for 99¢ a pound at my grocery store, I decided it was time. I purchased a bundle and then came home and started looking for ways to prepare it. I of course started with my favorite blogs! Leigh Anne at yourhomebasedmom had a recipe that looked really yummy, so I decided to give it a try. And you know what, I loved it!
It was nice and tender and had a great flavor. Even my boys liked it. That may have had something to do with the fact that I let them use their fingers, but hey, whatever works, right?
If you have never had asparagus before, I think this would be a great recipe to try out. Not only is it delicious, but it is super simple!
How to make roasted asparagus:
- Start with fresh tender asparagus. I like the thin ones the best, they are never tough
- Cut off the bottom inch of each asparagus stalk and line them up on a cookie sheet
- Drizzle a little olive oil on the asparagus stalks, then sprinkle them with kosher salt and pepper
- Bake them at 400° for 5 – 10 minutes or till tender. Add parmesan cheese and bake till it melts.
So simple, so delicious!
Looking for more easy ways to serve veggies? Here are a few our family enjoys:
- Sweet Cooked Carrots
- Parmesan Zucchini Bites
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Skillet Fried Corn
- Zucchini and Carrots
- Sesame Green Beans
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus stalks (You want to use the thin ones!)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (I like Kosher salt)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cut about an inch off the bottoms of the asparagus stalks. Line them up in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Use your hands to rub the olive oil evenly over the stalks.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 400° for 5-10 minutes, or just till tender. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and cook for 2-3 more minutes or till cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 71Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g