This is one of my family’s very favorite summer salads. We have it as a main dish with fruit salad and bread or muffins, but it is also great served as a side dish. I usually make my own Italian dressing so I can add less oil, but you can just use the kind in the bottle. This stuff is really awesome later on in the season when we have garden fresh tomatoes. Yummy!
Italian Pasta Salad
- 1 12 oz pkg. rotini or bowtie pasta
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 pound broccoli, chopped
- 1 can olives, sliced
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup Italian dressing
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water till al dente. Rinse with cold water to cool.
- Stir in vegetables, olives, and parmesan cheese. Add Italian dressing and salt and pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g
-You can add whatever veggies your family likes. If we have red or yellow peppers, I like to add those.
-I have also seen this salad served with ham, salami, pepperoni, or cheese cubes. It really is quite versatile, so give it a try!
Are you gearing up for the 4th of July? Our tiny town does a celebration the week before the actual holiday, so we will be doing that this weekend. Tonight is the parade, tomorrow is the fireman’s breakfast and the carnival. It is a fun tradition that my boys look forward to every year.
I will be posting lots of fun Independence Day recipes next week, so make sure you check back often. I love cooking for holidays, it is so much fun!!