This crumb topped Plum Pie is so easy to make, and a perfect way to use those lovely summer plums. A sweet and tart filling topped with buttery crumbs makes for one tasty fruit pie. You are going to love it!
A PERFECT FRUIT PIE FOR SUMMER PLUMS!
Plums are delicious straight from the tree, but have you ever baked with them? If you have an abundance of plums, it’s nice to have other options for using them.
I am not lucky enough to have a plum tree, but I am often given plums from family and friends. A few years ago my cousin Tami gave me a bucket of plums along with a plum pie recipe.
I’d never heard of plum pie before, but she assured me that it was delicious, so I gave it a try. She was right, it is downright tasty!
The plums turn a beautiful purple color as it bakes, and the crumb topping is just perfect. I love crunch of the crust and the crumble combined with the tender fruit filling. Every bite is scrumptious!
Do you peel plums for pie?
Nope, no need to peel the plums when you are making pie. All you have to do is wash them, chop or slice them, and discard the pit. The purple skins are actually what gives the pie its pretty purple color!
HOW TO MAKE PLUM PIE
- PREP WORK – Buy or make a 9″ pastry crust. Wash and chop your plums. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- TOPPING – Whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Cut in the butter till the mixture is crumbly. I think it’s fastest just to use your hands. Set aside.
- FILLING – Combine the chopped plums, sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir till plums are evenly coated.
- ASSEMBLE – Spread the filling evenly in the unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle topping evenly over the fruit.
- BAKE – Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake at 375° for about 50 minutes. The filling should be bubbly, and the crust and topping should be golden brown. Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
You can serve this yummy purple pie warm, at room temperature, or cold. I personally like it best warm with vanilla bean ice cream. Delish! If you don’t have ice cream, whipped cream is a good substitute.
- To prevent spills in your oven, you can place your pie pan on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil.
- If you have really tart plums, you may want to add another tablespoon or two of sugar. If you have sweet plums, you can add a bit less sugar.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER PIE
I like to store this pie covered at room temperature. It will last for about 3 days. But you can cover and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The crust and topping do get soft the longer you store it.
- If you aren’t a fan of crumb topping, you can just top the pie with a second pastry crust and cut slits in the top. I like to sprinkle my dessert pies with coarse sugar.
- For an extra tart pie, you can add a tablespoon of lemon juice. The extra liquid will make the filling a little more runny.
- Love nuts? Feel free to add your favorite kind of finely chopped nuts to the crumb topping.
- For a more fall flavored pie, you can add additional cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, or ginger to the filling.
MORE TASTY PIE RECIPES:
- Sugar Cream Pie Recipe
- Turtle Pie
- Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe
- Pink Lemonade Pie
- Chocolate Pie with Cream Cheese
- Easy Key Lime Pie
- Best Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
★ FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR MORE TASTY RECIPES.
EASY PLUM PIE RECIPE
- 1 9 inch pastry pie crust, unbaked
- 4 cups chopped plums
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For filling: Wash plums, cut them into bite sized pieces, and place them in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Stir gently till plums are well coated. Spread into the unbaked pie shell.
- For topping: In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter. Use a pastry blender, fork, or your hands to mix the ingredients together till crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the filling.
- Bake at 375 for about 50 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g