Chocolate Pecan Pie – an indulgent baked chocolate pie loaded with chopped pecans. A perfect pie for Thanksgiving or any holiday gathering.
The season of pie baking is upon us! This recipe is very similar to my chocolate chip pie. However, instead of whole chocolate chips, it is filled with melted chocolate, making it even more fudgy and decadent.
Does your Thanksgiving celebration typically include pecan pie? It’s one of my favorites, but no one else in my family loves it, so I don’t make it very often. But then I tried this recipe with chocolate, and lo and behold, they all tried a piece. Everyone but my youngest son (who hates pecans) loved it!
Now true, it doesn’t taste much like traditional pecan pie. But it is sinfully rich and oh so yummy. All the chocolate lovers will probably like this version even better!
Unlike my son, I happen to think pecans are quite tasty. Honestly, I think this pie would be even better with more than the one cup of pecans that it calls for. But that’s totally up to you.
How to Make Chocolate Pecan Pie
- unbaked 9″ pastry crust (I used a homemade pie crust, but store bought would be fine.)
- butter (I always use salted butter)
- semi sweet or unsweetened chocolate (I used some of both)
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
This chocolate pecan pie recipe is so easy! Start by spreading some chopped pecans in the bottom of your unbaked pie crust. Whip up the chocolate filling, and pour it over the pecans. Add a few whole pecans to the top of pie as a garnish. Place them carefully so they don’t sink.
Now just pop the pie in the oven and bake at 325 degrees for about an hour. That’s it!
The pie filling will puff up as it bakes, but it will sink back down into a nice and crackly top. When the pie first comes out of the oven, it will be very soft inside. You need to allow time for it to cool for several hours.
As it cools, the chocolate will set up enough that you can slice the pie. If you are in a hurry, you can place it in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process a bit. Sometimes if it’s cold outside, I just stick my baked goods outside on our covered deck to cool off. Saves electricity and refrigerator space!
-I used part white sugar and part brown sugar. For an even richer flavor, you can substitute all brown sugar.
-Toast your pecans first for a deep nutty flavor.
-You can always add some semi sweet or milk chocolate chips to the pie. You can either sprinkle them in the bottom of the crust with the pecans, or stir them into the batter. I’d use about a cup of chocolate chips.
HOW TO SERVE CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE
The crackly top is pretty fragile, so slice with a sharp knife.
You can serve this pie slightly warm, at room temperature, or even cold. It is very rich, so serve small slices. We think it’s best with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It’s a perfect Thanksgiving dessert, but it’s so good you’ll want to make it all year long!
Leftovers can be stored at room temperature. Cover the pie tightly with plastic wrap and it will last for up to 3 or 4 days.
Just look at all that ooey gooey dark chocolate. Don’t you just want to dig in?
FOR MORE PIE RECIPES, CHECK OUT:
- German Chocolate Pie
- No-Bake Creamy Rolo Pie
- Easy Key Lime Pie
- Cherry Almond Macaroon Pie
- Amazing Chocolate Turtle Pie
Easy Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe
- 1 9" unbaked pie shell
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole pecans for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a glass bowl in the microwave, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring every 30 seconds till smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar, brown sugar, and salt till mixture is well combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk till smooth.
- Spread the chopped pecans in the bottom of the pie crust. Pour filling over the top. If desired, garnish pie with whole pecans.
- Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes, or till top is crackled and center of pie is no longer jiggly.
- Cool for several hours on a wire rack, or chill. Pie will set up as it cools.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1276Total Fat: 79gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 42gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 1008mgCarbohydrates: 134gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 7gSugar: 24gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 11g