This easy tater tot casserole with corn is a perfect dinner solution when you have picky eaters and need to get dinner on the table in a hurry. It’s kid friendly, but adults also love this comforting casserole dish!
Who can resist a hearty casserole loaded with ground beef, corn, and cheese, topped with a crunchy layer of tater tots? There’s a reason it’s been a family favorite for decades.
Why you’ll love this easy dinner recipe:
- It calls for a handful of ingredients, most of which you probably keep on hand.
- You only need a few minutes to toss it together, and it can even be prepped ahead of time.
- It’s so easy! If you can brown hamburger, you can make this recipe!
- Toddlers love it, but it’s hearty enough to satisfy teenage boys and other hungry adults. (A great dish for family reunions and potlucks!)
- Taste! Golden brown tater tots, melted cheese, and a creamy ground beef filling underneath make for one delicious dinner!
HOW TO MAKE EASY TATER TOT CASSEROLE WITH CORN
- PREP – Dice the onion. Spray a 9×13″ baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- MEAT – In a large skillet, cook the ground beef and diced onion over medium-high heat until meat is completely browned. Use a paper towel to drain off any fat.
- FILLING – Add the garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, soup, peas, and corn to the ground beef mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through.
- ASSEMBLE – Spread the meat mixture in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top. Then add a single layer of tater tots over the cheese.
- BAKE – Place the pan in the preheated oven. Bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes, or until the tater tots are golden brown and crunchy. (We like them extra crunchy, so I go for the 45 minutes, but you may not need to cook yours as long.)
- If you like your tater tots extra crispy, bake the casserole on the top rack of your oven. You can even broil the casserole for 3-5 minutes, but watch it very closely!
- Like lots of cheddar cheese? After the casserole is done, you can sprinkle on another cup of cheese and bake for 2-3 minutes until it melts.
- This casserole can be assembled in the morning, refrigerated, and baked in the evening.
If you have any leftover casserole, you can simply cover the dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When I have just a small amount left, I transfer it to an airtight container.
You can reheat leftovers in the microwave, but the tater tots do get soft. I like to heat mine in the microwave for 30-40 seconds in an oven safe container, then transfer to the oven and broil it for a couple minutes.
You can also place the foil covered pan in the oven and reheat at 350° for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through. To crisp up the top, remove the foil during the last few minutes.
TATER TOT CASSEROLE RECIPE VARIATIONS:
- Switch up the vegetables. Instead of peas and corn you can use green beans, mixed veggies, or really any vegetables you have on hand. We like frozen, but canned will also work.
- Toss in some bell peppers or sliced mushrooms if your family enjoys them.
- Instead of cream of mushroom, use cream of chicken soup, or even cream of celery. And of course you can use homemade instead of canned soup if you prefer.
- In place of the ground beef, you can use ground chicken or ground turkey.
- We like a cheesy layer under the crispy tater tots, but some people prefer to add the cheese on top.
- And of course you can substitute the cheddar with any kind of cheese you have on hand.
What to serve with tater tot casserole
- Salad – a simple side salad is always a good choice, but you could also try my strawberry spinach salad recipe or even cheesecake fruit salad.
- Vegetable – The casserole does contain some veggies, but it doesn’t hurt to add a side of sweet boiled carrots, a veggie tray, or even green beans almondine.
MORE CASSEROLE RECIPES:
- Pizza Casserole with Pepperoni
- Ham Potato Casserole
- One Pot Mexican Rice Casserole
- Chicken Mashed Potato Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 24 ounces frozen tater tots
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Preheat your oven to 375°
- Cook the ground beef and diced onion in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5-10 minutes, or until meat is browned. Drain off any fat with a paper towel.
- Add the garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, mushroom soup, corn, and peas. Turn heat to medium or low; cook and stir until heated through.
- Spread the meat mixture in your prepared pan. Top with a layer of grated cheese. Arrange the tater tots over the cheese in a single layer.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown. I like to bake mine on the top rack of my oven for extra crisp tots.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 565Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 1172mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g
We think this is the best tater tot casserole recipe, and I hope you’ll give it a try! If you do, be sure to come back and leave a comment & review. 🙂