Made all in one skillet, this cheesy Mexican Rice Casserole is one dinner recipe your whole family will agree on. Loaded with ground beef, rice corn, black beans, tomatoes, and chilies, it is scrumptious and filling!
If you love Tex-Mex flavors, this is a perfect ground beef casserole. And it also makes fantastic leftovers!
I got this yummy dinner recipe from my mom. She has made it several times for family reunions and get-togethers, and the whole family loves it. I kept meaning to get the recipe, but I would forget. Every. single. time.
Then when I finally thought of it and called, she was out of town. What are the odds?
But I was on a mission and couldn’t give up. I convinced my brother to look for it, take a photo of the recipe card, and text it to me. That’s how much I wanted this recipe! Now it is in my possession, and I’ll never lose it again. 🙂
I did tweak it a little. It called for cooked rice, but I don’t usually have that on hand, so I adapted it to use raw rice. And I added some quinoa to give it a healthy punch of protein and nutrients.
I’m new to using quinoa, but it is awesome in this easy recipe. My kids didn’t even know it was there until I told them!
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN SKILLET CASSEROLE
- Brown ground beef and onion in a large oven safe skillet over medium heat. Drain off any fat. Add garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Stir in pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin, green chilies, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, corn, olives, quinoa, rice, and beef broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally till rice is tender.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top. Place the skillet on the top rack of the oven and broil for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Watch closely!
Garnishes make this dish even more tasty! Top it with green onions, diced tomatoes, or guacamole. I like to serve mine alongside shredded lettuce; my kids like scooping it up with tortilla chips.
Just look at all that cheesy goodness!
How to store leftover Mexican beef and rice skillet
This recipe does make a large amount, and leftovers are perfect for lunch. Transfer to a glass container and cover tightly. It will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can I make this Mexican beef and rice casserole ahead of time?
Yes, this is a perfect make ahead casserole. Prepare as directed, but before adding the cheese, remove the skillet from the heat. Cool slightly.
You can either cover the skillet and place it in the refrigerator, or transfer it to a glass or foil dish. You can store in the refrigerator for a day or two.
When ready to serve, heat and stir it in the skillet over medium heat until hot. Then add the cheese and broil as directed.
- If you don’t have quinoa, you can just use an additional 1/4 cup of raw rice.
- For even more tex-mex flavor, you can use 15 ounces of salsa in place of the diced tomatoes.
- You can add some diced green, yellow, or red bell peppers.
- Instead of black beans, you can use kidney beans or pinto beans.
- Fresh or canned corn can be used in place of the frozen corn.
- Feel free to use any kind of cheese that melts well. Colby jack or pepper jack would work well.
MORE TASTY SKILLET MEALS:
- Skillet Lasagna Recipe
- Chicken Fajita Rice
- Taco Cabbage
- Cheeseburger Macaroni
- Beef Stroganoff with Ground Beef
- Eggroll in a Bowl with Coleslaw Mix
Recipe for Cheesy Mexican Skillet with Rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef and onion in a large oven safe skillet. Drain off any fat.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheeses. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally till rice is tender.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Place on the top rack of the oven and broil for about 5 minutes, or till cheese melts and starts to brown. Watch closely!
You can use brown rice, just add an extra 1/2 cup of water and cook for 50-60 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 1008mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 28g