Cherry Almond Mousse Pie . . . with cherries, almonds, cream cheese, and fudge, every bite of this pie is scrumptious! It’s a family favorite.
We are pretty big pie fans here at my house. In fact, several of my kids request pie instead of cake for their birthdays. My second son always requests Banana Cream Pie. But for my husband and oldest son, this is the pie. My husband requests it for his birthday, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, and pretty much any time there is an option to have pie.
I found the recipe a couple years ago in a Taste of Home cookbook, and it became an instant hit. With a creamy filling chock full of cherries and almonds, and a decadent layer of fudge, it was love at first bite.
You’ll notice that water is one of the ingredients in the filling. I thought it was a bit strange at first, but it balances out the richness of the filling. But if it really bothers you, you can definitely substitute milk.
I love the compliment of flavors and textures. The crunchy almonds and juicy cherries are a nice contrast to the creamy filling. And of course the layer of fudge on the bottom adds just the right amount of decadence. So yummy!
As a word of warning, this makes a lot of filling, so make sure you are using a deep dish pie crust. I sometimes have filling leftover, I just put it in a covered bowl in the fridge. It’s tasty all on it’s own!
I hope your family will love this pie just as much as mine does!
- 1 9" pie shell, baked and cooled
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, divided
- 10 oz jar maraschino cherries
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 3 oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- Extra whipped cream for garnish if desired
- Cook 1/2 cup of the sweetened condensed milk with the chips till thickened. (I heat it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, but you can cook it in a saucepan for 4-5 minutes.) Stir in 1/4 tsp of the almond extract and pour into the pie shell.
- Chop all but 8 of the cherries; set aside. Beat cream cheese till fluffy; slowly add water and remaining milk. Add pudding and 1/4 tsp almond extract and beat till smooth.
- Fold in whipped cream, cherries, and almonds. Pour over chocolate layer. (If you have leftovers, just chill them and eat them another day.)
- Cover the pie and chill till set, about 3 hours. Garnish with the 8 cherries and extra whipped cream if desired.
(original photos- photos updated 2/2017)
More yummy pie recipes: