Mini Strawberry Shortcake Cups- the most fun way ever to eat strawberry shortcake!
Just be warned- they are so good no one can stop eating them, so you may want to make a double batch if you plan on serving a crowd. 🙂
I love and adore strawberries, and I wish they were in season all year round! When summer rolls around, I am always looking for yummy recipes featuring berries. This recipe was inspired from a photo I saw in a magazine. It was a flat sugar cookie with strawberry frosting and a strawberry on top.
I decided to make sugar cookie cups in mini muffin pans so I could use filling instead of frosting. Sometimes my cooking creations don’t turn out quite right the first time, but these were fantastic on the first try. Even better than I imagined! I used homemade dough, but you could use store bought if you prefer.
The filling for these cute little treats is simple to make- only four ingredients! But it is so yummy I could eat it by the spoonful. The cream cheese balances out the sweetness, and it is a perfect compliment to the berries.
I wanted mine to look a little fancy, so I piped my filling in. But if you prefer, you can just spoon the filling into the cups. You want them to be really full, so make sure you use a good sized dollop.
Aren’t they the cutest little strawberry shortcakes you’ve ever seen? There’s something about mini foods that just make them fun to eat. Be careful though, you could pop a dozen of these babies in your mouth if you aren’t careful. They are unbelievably yummy!
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl till creamy. Add egg, almond extract, and vanilla. Beat well.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture and stir till well combined.
- Roll into 1" balls and place in well greased mini muffin pans. Make an indentation in the dough with your thumb or the back of a teaspoon.
- Bake at 350° for about 10 minutes, or till lightly browned on the edges. Use a spoon to press the dough down in the middle, forming a cup. Remove to cooling racks and cool completely.
- For filling:
- Beat whipping cream till stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese till smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add whipped cream, and beat till well combined.
- Fill cups with filling. I piped it in, but you can just spoon it in if you prefer.
- Top with diced strawberries. Serve immediately or chill.
If you’re a fan of strawberry desserts, here are a few of my favorite recipes that you should definitely check out!