My amazing hubbie turned 40 yesterday. We invited the whole neighborhood over for cake and ice cream. It was a really fun evening even though we had to move the party inside because of the dang wind. I made three kinds of cake: chocolate with pecans, almond, and lime. My awesome cousin brought another chocolate cake with no nuts. All of them were delicious, but I had the most recipe requests for the almond cake, so I am posting it first.
I found it over at Your Home Based Mom. It looks like a plain old white cake, but I assure you that it isn’t. It is so moist and delicious. It will definitely be my most used white cake recipe from now on!
ALMOND SHEET CAKE
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (more or less)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- dash salt
- Bring butter and water to a boil. Mix flour and sugar in a large bowl. Pour the boiling liquid over the flour and sugar and beat well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a well greased jelly roll pan. (Mine is about 12"x17")
- Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Cool for 20-30 minutes and spread with frosting.
- For frosting: Bring butter and milk to a boil. Pour over remaining ingredients, adding enough powdered sugar to achieve the consistency you want. Frosting should be thin enough to pour.
-The original recipe called for 1 cup of butter in the frosting. It made it way too thin, and it all ran to the edges and pooled. I think 1/2 cup is plenty.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 0gSugar: 39gProtein: 2g