These soft and fluffy sweet potato cinnamon rolls are covered with a scrumptious homemade caramel sauce. Such a yummy treat!
We are big fans of sweet rolls at our house. I love coming up with new flavor combinations, and I’ve posted several varieties before, including cake mix cinnamon rolls, lime sweet rolls, and chocolate coconut sweet rolls. Every one of them is so yummy that I don’t even think I could pick a favorite if I tried. I love them all. Which is why I don’t make them very often, because I have a seriously hard time resisting them. For reals. I can’t stop myself.
I got this recipe for sweet potato rolls from my mom. I’ve never used sweet potatoes in baked goods before, but I think I need to start! Not only were they a pretty color, but they had a fabulous flavor and texture. I love and adore the addition of nuts to the filling, but you can leave them out if you prefer.
Let’s talk about the caramel sauce on top of the rolls for a minute. Holey moley is it tasty! As in so tasty you could just eat it by the spoonful. You pour it over the rolls during the last minutes of baking, so it cooks down into every nook and cranny. I love how it gets a little crunchy and caramelized on the edges, but stays ooey gooey in the middle.
These rolls do take a little extra time to make, but they aren’t complicated. Don’t be afraid to try yeast recipes. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
- 2 Tbsp. SAF instant yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 5 1/2-6 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Dough: Mix together instant yeast, water, and 1 tsp sugar in a large mixing bowl; let sit for 5 minutes or till bubbly.
- Add sweet potatoes, egg, buttermilk, sugar, butter, salt, and soda. Beat till smooth. Add two cups of the flour and beat till smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead for a few minutes till smooth. Cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Filling: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl till well combined.
- To assemble: Punch dough down and roll into a rectangle about 30x14" on a lightly greased surface. Sprinkle filling evenly over the top. Roll up jelly roll style, starting with one of the long sides. Pinch the seam together to seal.
- Cut into slices and place in 2 9x13" pans, or one large cookie sheet with sides. Cover with waxed paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Let rise till doubled, about 60 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes. (While rolls are baking, prepare caramel sauce.)
- Caramel Sauce: Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in cream and vanilla.
- Remove rolls from oven and drizzle with hot caramel sauce, making sure to get some on the edges. If they are in a cookie sheet, use a rubber spatula to pull the rolls away from the edge so you can get the sauce on the sides.
- Return to the oven and bake for about 10 more minutes, or until rolls are done in the center. I usually check them with a knife or fork.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 839Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 160gFiber: 6gSugar: 25gProtein: 19g