Chocolate Chip Coconut Coffee Cake . . . loaded with chocolate chips and topped with toasted coconut, this coffee cake is scrumptious. Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
Coconut Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Coffee cake is a favorite weekend breakfast at our house. I love that I can whip it cup quickly, toss it in a pan, and come back about 30 minutes later to a yummy hot breakfast. I like to serve it with scrambled eggs and fresh fruit. A perfect way to start the day!
The toasted coconut on the top of this coffee cake is what makes it extra delicious. Toasting the coconut adds a rich nutty flavor that just can’t be beat. I love toasted coconut so much that I keep a bag in the fridge for tossing in oatmeal (or just eating my the spoonful). Yum!
Coconut is great alone, but for this coffee cake, it’s paired with chocolate chips, which makes it even more decadent.
The cake is buttery and tender, so the crunchy topping is a perfect balance. Seriously peeps, you need to give this recipe a try.
Every bite is pure heaven.
I baked mine in two 9″ round pans, but you could bake it in a 9×13″ pan if you need to. It will take longer to bake, so start with 35-40 minutes and go from there.
If you’re a fan of coffee cake like I am, you will be happy to know that today is National Coffee Cake Day. A perfect reason to start your day with a warm slice of coffee cake!
I’m teaming up with my fellow Celebrating Food Bloggers to bring you over two dozen melt in your mouth delicious coffee cake recipes. Don’t they look incredible?
14 Brand New Coffee Cake recipes:
Apple Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping from Supergolden Bakes
Coconut Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake (right here)
Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins from My Mommy Style
Easy Carrot Coffee Cake from An Italian in My Kitchen
Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake from The Baker Upstairs
Mason Jar Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake from Premeditated Leftovers
Lemon Rhubarb Coffee Cake from Crumb
Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Ashlee Marie
Coffee Cake Muffins from Pretty Providence
Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Savory Experiments
Slow Cooker Coffee Cake from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Grandma’s Cinnamon Coffee Cake from Simply Stacie
Vegan Coffee Cake Muffins from Namely Marly
Peach Coffee Cake from Real Mom Kitchen
A few more of my favorite coffee cakes:
Coffee Cake Recipes from other foodies:
Cherry Almond Coffee Cake from Positively Splendid
Blueberry Peach Coffee Cake from Brown Eyed Baker
Peanut Butter and Jelly Coffee Cake from Boston Girl Bakes
Cream Cheese Stuffed Chocolate Chip Banana Coffee Cake from Carlsbad Cravings
Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake from The Crafting Chicks
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake from Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
Oatmeal Coffee Cake from Yummy, Healthy, Easy
Chocolate Chip Coconut Coffee Cake
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 1 1/2 cups toasted coconut
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup freshly ground whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (light is fine)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
- To toast coconut, spread it on a cookie sheet and bake at 375° for about 8-10 minutes, stirring often. Let cool.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl and mix till crumbly. Set aside
- For batter, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and coconut extract. Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips and stir gently till just moistened.
- Spread batter into two 9" round cake pans that have been sprayed with non-stick spray. Divide the topping evenly between the two pans.
- Bake at 350° for 28-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 355mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 3gSugar: 36gProtein: 5g