Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake – tender coffee cake with a cinnamon sugar filling, and crunchy cinnamon topping. A simple recipe the whole family will love!
I have fond memories of my mom making this cinnamon coffee cake when I was growing up. We used to have it with scrambled eggs and fruit, usually cut up oranges.
It was a favorite back then, and now it is a favorite at my house. I made a few changes to make it a little healthier, but it still tastes as yummy as I remember it!
This cinnamon breakfast cake smells heavenly while it is baking, and it fills the whole house with the yummy smell of cinnamon. The cake itself is nice and tender, and the layer of cinnamon streusel in the middle just melts into the coffee cake. Then you’ve got the crunchy crumb topping. Every bite is delicious!!
HOW TO MAKE STREUSEL FILLED CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE
(To skip my tips and just get to the full recipe card, simply scroll to the bottom of the post.)
Ingredients needed for streusel:
- brown sugar (I used light sugar, but dark would work just as well.)
- all purpose flour (I prefer to use unbleached flour.)
- ground cinnamon
- butter, softened to room temperature (You can substitute margarine if you prefer.)
- chopped pecans (or another type of nut if you prefer)
Ingredients needed for batter:
- granulated sugar (regular white table sugar)
- brown sugar (I used light. If you prefer, you can just use all white sugar instead.)
- butter, softened to room temperature (I use regular salted butter in all my recipes.)
- eggs (I use large eggs in all my baking recipes.)
- milk (I used 2%, but skim or whole will also work.)
- all purpose flour
- freshly ground whole wheat flour (I recommend using white wheat, and it is definitely best ground at home. Store bought whole wheat flour makes my baked goods dry and crumbly, so I stopped using it years ago.)
- baking powder
PREP WORK: Spray a 9×13″ baking pan with non stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
STREUSEL: First you want to mix up the cinnamon streusel mixture. Just combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, and mix them with a fork or your hands till they are crumbly.
BATTER: Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl till smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs and milk, then stir in dry ingredients.
ASSEMBLE: Spread about half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon mixture. Drop the rest of the batter over the crumbs by spoonfuls, and spread as evenly as you can. Don’t worry if you have some gaps. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top.
BAKE: Place your pan in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes, or till golden brown on top. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
SERVE: We like it best served warm, but it is tasty at room temperature as well.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
If you have any leftover coffee cake, simply cover it tightly with plastic wrap. It will keep at room temperature for about 3 days.
If you like cinnamon, here are a few more recipes you’ll enjoy!
EASY CINNAMON STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE RECIPE
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (freshly ground)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix streusel ingredients in a small bowl till crumbly; set aside.
- Cream sugars and butter in a large mixing bowl till creamy. Beat in eggs, then milk. Stir in dry ingredients.
- Spread half of batter in well greased 9x13" pan. Sprinkle with half of crumb mixture.
- Drop remaining batter in spoonfuls on top of crumbs and spread as evenly as possible. (It’s OK if there are a few small gaps, it will fill in as it bakes.)
- Sprinkle remaining cinnamon mixture on top.
- Bake at 350° for about 40-45 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
-You can use 3 cups of all purpose flour instead of half whole wheat flour if you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 461mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 6g
(originally published 10/10/2008, updated March 2020.)
See all my BREAKFAST RECIPES.