Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Topping . . . with a creamy topping and a sprinkling of crunchy nuts and coconut, this coffee cake is always a hit!
Nothing starts the day off better than a tasty breakfast! When the weather starts to get a little chilly, I love warming up the house with recipes like this coffee cake, cinnamon raisin biscuits, and apple snickerdoodle muffins. Yum!
The past few days have been full of surprises. Not the kind of surprises where a long lost friend jumps out of a cake at your birthday party. The other kind. My husband found out that his company is shutting down the Utah office, so now he and all his co-workers are looking for a new job.
Not exactly the news you want three weeks before Christmas. But we are very optimistic; he already has a few interviews lined up. We’re very hopeful that he’ll find something before the new year. Second up, early Saturday morning someone slid off the road, sent our mailbox flying, and crashed into our tree. Fun times.
Traditionally at our house, bad news comes in packages of three. So I’m considering wrapping the kids in bubble wrap before they head to school. Haha! Enough gloomy talk, onto the recipe for today. Thinking about it sure cheers me up. 😉
It’s Always Pumpkin Season
I know, it’s December. Fall is over. But that doesn’t mean pumpkin baking time is over yet. At least not at our house. OK, to be honest, I bake with pumpkin even in the middle of July. Because we just love pumpkin! I am always on the lookout for new pumpkin recipes.
I found this pumpkin coffee cake recipe in one of my Taste of Home cookbooks. It is heavenly! I’m not saying it’s the most healthy breakfast I’ve ever served, but I did use part whole wheat, so that counts for something right?
The pumpkin makes it nice and moist, and it has a perfect cinnamon flavor. Then it is topped off with a yummy cream cheese layer. A coconut cinnamon streusel on top gives it an amazing flavor and crunch. We thought it was absolutely spectacular!
How to make Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Topping
Ingredients needed for this coffee cake:
- cream cheese (I used light cream cheese)
- canned pumpkin
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- flour (I used half all purpose and half whole wheat)
- baking soda
- pecans or walnuts (we like pecans)
For filling–beat cream cheese, sugar, and egg in a small bowl till smooth. Set aside.
For batter–In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, pumpkin, oil, and vanilla till smooth. Stir in dry ingredients just till combined. Spread into a greased 9×13″ baking dish. Pour filling over the top and smooth out. Swirl with a knife. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the top.
Bake at 350° for about 35-40 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
Can I use all white flour instead of wheat flour?
Yes, it works just fine to use all purpose flour instead of half white, half wheat. You don’t need to make any other adjustments to the recipe.
Can I make pumpkin coffee cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this coffee cake the night before. Let it cool completely, then cover it with plastic wrap. You can store it in the refrigerator, but it’s best to let it come to room temperature before serving. I usually just store it on the counter.
The topping does tend to soften a bit as it sits, so we like it best the same day, but it’s still very tasty after 2-3 days.
HERE ARE A FEW MORE COFFEE CAKE RECIPES:
- Cinnamon Crumb Apple Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Crumb Coffee Cake
- Cherry Coffee Cake
- Orange Walnut Coffee Cake
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
This coffee cake is a perfect fall recipe, but it’s too tasty to only make it then. Feel free to enjoy it all year round, I promise I won’t judge. 🙂
Pumpkin Coffee Cake Recipe
- 8 oz light cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup freshly ground whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13" pan with non stick cooking spray, set aside.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, and egg in a small bowl till smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree, oil, and vanilla till smooth.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Add to wet ingredients and stir gently just till combined.
- Spread coffee cake batter into prepared pan. Pour filling over the top and smooth out. Swirl with a knife.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350° for about 35-40 minutes or till toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
You can use all white flour if you prefer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 6g
See all my BREAKFAST RECIPES.