Butter Cookies with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting – these simple shortbread cookies just melt in your mouth, and the frosting is simply divine!
I love making cookies, which is pretty apparent because I’ve shared almost a hundred cookie recipes! Today I’m sharing a recipe for Butter Cookies with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting.
I grew up making and eating these cookies, and I’ve always loved them. My mom made them with an orange glaze, and they were called “melting moments”. They are heavenly, and they do just melt in your mouth.
Instead of the orange glaze, I tried making them with lemon cream cheese frosting. It made them even better than I remember! You can use orange or even lime zest if you prefer. All varieties are yummy.
I took an assortment of Christmas cookies to a family party last year. I was totally thinking that only the adults would go for these, but I was wrong. These were the first to go, and the kids loved them as much as the adults.
How to make Butter Cookies
- powdered sugar
- cream cheese (full fat cream cheese makes a thicker frosting)
- lemon zest
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer till smooth. Add the flour and cornstarch and stir till well mixed. Dough will be stiff.
Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. Roll into 1″ balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 325° for about 15-18 minutes.
Cool completely, then frost with my lemon cream cheese frosting recipe.
Tips for making this butter cookies recipe:
-Let the butter come to room temperature on the counter. You want it to be soft, but not too soft. It doesn’t work as well if softened in the microwave.
-Place the cookie dough balls on ungreased cookie sheets. If you use non-stick spray, parchment, or non-stick cookie sheets, they spread on the bottom and aren’t as pretty.
-If your frosting is a bit too thick, you can add a bit of milk or cream.
LOVE LEMON? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY:
MORE COOKIE RECIPES YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS:
Recipe for Butter Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature (not overly soft or melted!)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 Tbsp very soft butter
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- dash salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (more or less)
- Cream butter and sugar till smooth. Stir in flour and cornstarch till well combined.
- Cover or wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 325° for about 15-18 minutes.
- Cool completely on cooling racks, then frost with lemon cream cheese frosting.
- For frosting: Beat butter, cream cheese, and salt till smooth and creamy. Add lemon zest and enough powdered sugar to make a spreadable frosting. Frost the tops of the cookies.
-These cookies work best if you let the butter soften at room temperature on the counter instead of in the microwave.
-Make sure you use an ungreased cookie sheet for best results.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 121Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
To see all my cookie recipes, click HERE.