You can whip up this easy pizza sauce in just minutes with ingredients already in your pantry. It’s so simple, tastes amazing, and freezes well!
I’ve been making this homemade pizza sauce for decades. Not only is it perfect for making homemade pizza, we also love dipping both store bought and homemade breadsticks in it.
And as a bonus, it’s not loaded with sugar like store bought versions, so it’s the perfect keto pizza sauce as well!
EASY PIZZA SAUCE RECIPE
If you are looking for pizza sauce that calls for peeling fresh tomatoes, dicing fresh herbs, and simmering all day, this is not the recipe for you. We are going for easy today folks!
Trust me, if you can stir ingredients together, you can make pizza sauce from scratch. And you will be able to control all of the ingredients, so you can adapt it to your liking!
This quick and easy recipe makes enough sauce for one 12″ pizza, so you won’t have a ton of wasted leftovers, but if you want to make multiple pizzas, it is easily doubled or tripled.
What makes pizza sauce taste like pizza sauce?
Herbs like oregano and basil give pizza sauce its delicious flavor, as well as garlic and onion. It is thicker than marinara sauce, so it has a more robust flavor.
A lot of recipes are heavy on the oregano, but I think that gives them a bit of a bitter flavor, so I prefer my sauce with more basil. You can of course adjust the herbs and seasonings to your taste.
HOW TO MAKE PIZZA SAUCE WITH TOMATO SAUCE
- Open your can of tomato sauce and pour it into a small saucepan. Whisk in the oregano, basil, parsley, onion powder, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Alternatively, you can just combine the ingredients in a glass jar or lid, and refrigerate for an hour or two to bring out the flavor of the herbs. It won’t be quite as thick, but it will still be tasty.
Leftovers? You can store leftover sauce in the refrigerator for up to a week, or you can freeze it for 3-4 months. I like to store it in mason jars, but you can use ziplock freezer bags.
Tip: If you are freezing it in jars, make sure you leave at least a half inch of space at the top of the jar, it will expand as it freezes.
- My family loves this sugar free pizza sauce, but if you prefer, you can add 1/2 tsp sugar or honey to sweeten it up a little bit.
- You may like different amounts of herbs and garlic. Feel free to experiment until you have the perfect pizza sauce for you!
- A bit of olive oil adds a nice depth of flavor. I’d start with a teaspoon.
- For a bit of a kick, you can add some red pepper flakes.
- In a pinch, you can substitute Italian seasoning for the basil and oregano, but different brands vary greatly, so the flavor will not be the same.
- Toss in some thyme, fennel, or rosemary.
- If you have access to fresh herbs (lucky you!), go ahead and use them. You will need to double or triple the amounts.
WAYS TO USE HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE:
- Of course it’s perfect for any of your favorite homemade pizza recipes, and even french bread pizza.
- We love using it as a dip for breadsticks and homemade garlic knots.
- My daughter likes adding it to quesadillas with some pepperoni.
- In a pinch, we have even tossed it over leftover pasta.
If you love this recipe, I’d appreciate it if you leave a comment and a five star rating!
MORE TASTY ITALIAN RECIPES:
- No Boil Lasagna
- Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce
- Italian Chicken with Pasta
- Cheesy Pasta Recipe
- Italian White Bread
- Italian Cookies with Sprinkles
EASY PIZZA SAUCE (LOW CARB)
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp dry oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dry parsley flakes
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
*For no cook pizza sauce, just mix the ingredients together in a glass bowl, cover, and chill for 1-2 hours to allow the flavors to blend together.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 9Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 218mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g