French Silk Pie – Smooth, rich, and creamy, this chocolate pie is a dessert of epic proportions!
French Silk Pie
I have always wanted to make French Silk Pie, but for some reason I kept putting it off. I finally got around to it last year for Thanksgiving. It was such a huge hit that I only got a sliver. And let me tell you, that was not nearly enough!
What is the difference between chocolate cream pie and French silk pie?
Chocolate cream pie is made with a basic pudding that has milk, eggs, sugar, chocolate, and a thickener like cornstarch. The pudding is cooked on the stovetop, and has a creamy but more dense texture.
French silk pie is made with whipping cream, eggs, sugar, chocolate, and butter. Part of it it is cooked over the stovetop. It has a rich, creamy texture, but due to the whipping cream it is more fluffy than chocolate cream pie.
This pie is rich and creamy, and absolutely out of this world. One of the best pies I have ever tasted! I think I may have actually dreamed about it, and I could not wait for another excuse to make it again.
After waiting for several months for the perfect occasion to make French Silk Pie again, I decided I didn’t need a holiday to experience this heavenly dessert again. I just needed to get it in my mouth again!
This pie does take awhile to make, but trust me, it is absolutely worth it. It is one of the best pies that I have ever eaten! If you love chocolate, you have to give it a try!
How to make French Silk Pie
First you whip up some fresh cream, then melt your chocolate. Set both aside.
Place your eggs, sugar, and water into a double boiler (or glass or metal bowl that can fit barely inside one of your saucepans). Beat the mixture for at least 5 minutes, or till very thick and pale yellow.
Cook the mixture over boiling water until it reaches 160°, whisking often. Remove it from the heat and beat for another 8-10 minutes, or until cooled and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla.
Beat in some softened butter, then fold in the whipped cream. Pour into a baked pastry shell.
Finish up your pie by topping it with sweetened whipped cream and chocolate curls. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Trust me, after one bite, you will know that this French Silk Pie was worth all the effort!
How do I store French Silk Pie?
You definitely want to store your pie in the refrigerator. Leftovers will last for 2-3 days in the fridge if covered tightly or stored in an airtight container. However, if you need to make it ahead of time, I suggest just adding the chocolate filling. Cover it and refrigerate. When you are ready to serve, add the whipped cream and chocolate curls.
If you love chocolate, you will love these recipes too!
MORE AMAZING HOMEMADE PIES:
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Buttermilk Pie
- Pumpkin Pie (with sweetened condensed milk)
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Banana Cream Pie
- German Chocolate Pie
- Frozen Butterfinger Pie
FRENCH SILK PIE RECIPE
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, very soft
- 9" pastry crust, baked and cooled
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Whip cream in a mixing bowl till stiff peaks form. Cover and chill.
- Melt chopped chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave at half power, stirring every 30 seconds till smooth. Set aside.
- Place eggs, sugar, and water in a glass bowl or double boiler. Beat with an electric mixer for at least 5 minutes, or till very pale yellow and thick. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water that is slightly smaller than your bowl. You don't want it to touch the water. Cook and whisk till mixture reaches 160°.
- Remove egg mixture from heat. Beat for another 8 minutes or till cooled and fluffy. Don't under-mix!!
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla and beat till smooth. Beat in the soft butter, then fold in the whipped cream. Pour mixture into the pie crust and spread evenly.
- Beat the 1/2 cup cream till soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat till smooth. Spread over the chocolate filling. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, garnish with chocolate curls or shavings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 708Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 30gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 369mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 5gSugar: 30gProtein: 11g