WHY I LOVE THIS CHAFFLE RECIPE
Frequently asked questions:
How many carbs are in a chaffle waffle?
HOW TO MAKE A CHAFFLE WITH ALMOND FLOUR
- PREP – If your cheese isn’t pre shredded, you need to grate it. Plug in your waffle maker so it will be nice and hot.
- DRY INGREDIENTS – In a small mixing bowl, dump the mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and xanthan gum. Stir together until all the cheese is coated.
- EGG WHITES – Whisk together you egg white until foamy. Pour it over the cheese mixture. Quickly stir together. Moisture will bind with the xanthan gum, so you need to work fast so you don’t get clumps.
- COOK – Divide the mixture in half. (I like to roll them in balls.) Place on on the hot waffle maker. Press the lid down with a hot pad. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- COOL – Carefully use a fork to remove the chaffle. Place it on a wire rack or plate lined with a paper towel. It will continue to crisp up as it cools.
How to store leftover chaffles?
You can keep leftovers in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. I like to pop them in the toaster just for a few seconds to crisp them up before serving.
Thankfully, you can also freeze chaffles. I like to make a double or triple batch so I can always have them on hand. After they cool, pop them into freezer ziplock bags. They will last for 5-6 months in the freezer.
You can let them thaw at room temperature, or just heat them frozen in the toaster, air fryer, or even on a skillet. I do not recommend the microwave, they become soft and rubbery.
KETO CHAFFLE RECIPE VARIATIONS:
- For an extra crunchy exterior on your chaffle, you can sprinkle a bit of cheese right onto the waffle maker before adding your mixture. Then sprinkle a bit more cheese on top before closing the lid.
- You can add any seasonings you like. Garlic powder, onion powder, and herbs are all tasty!
- For a fluffier chaffle, you can add about 1/4 tsp of baking powder.
- Mozzarella cheese is traditionally used, but you can use another cheese like cheddar, colby jack, or even pepper jack. I’ve tried half mozzarella and half cheddar, and that was tasty!
- If you want a more bold flavor, you can add 1/4 – 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese. Your chaffles will be larger, or you can make three chaffles.
I found this keto chaffle recipe on the Keto Twins YouTube channel, and after just one bite, I fell in love. So much tastier than all the other versions I had tried!
I have used them as pizza crust, to make grilled cheese, and to make turkey sandwiches. I can’t wait to use them as hamburger buns. They are so versatile!
MORE KETO RECIPES:
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Sauce for Pork Chops
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Egg Muffin Cups
- Keto Peanut Butter Cups
- Crack Slaw
- Keto Zucchini Bread
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower
KETO CHAFFLE RECIPE
- 1 cup low moisture mozzarella cheese, grated (4 ounces)
- 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 egg white
- Preheat your mini waffle maker.
- Measure mozzarella, almond flour, and xanthan gum in a bowl. Quickly stir together so all the cheese is coated.
- Whisk the egg white until foamy. Add to the cheese mixture and stir until well combined. Divide the mixture in half.
- Scoop one portion of the mixture onto the hot waffle maker. Press the lid down firmy with a hot pad.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully remove the chaffle with a fork and let cool. Cook the second portion the same way.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 379mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g