Keto Cheddar Broccoli Soup
If you love broccoli cheese soup but are cutting carbs, most recipes are out of the question. Some contain potatoes and carrots, and most are thickened with flour or cornstarch.
But this keto broccoli cheese soup doesn’t have any of the high carb ingredients of its counterparts. Cream and shredded cheese act as natural thickeners.
Want it even more thick and creamy? Add a bit of xanthan gum and it will be the same creamy consistency as the soup from Panera. Delish!
How many carbs in broccoli cheddar soup?
How many carbs are in keto broccoli cheddar soup?
This recipe has just 5.5 net carbs for a one cup serving. When I’m really hungry, I’ll have a cup and a half, which adds up to just over 8 net carbs.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHEDDAR BROCCOLI SOUP
- PREP – Chop the onions, broccoli, and celery. Mince the garlic. Grate the cheese. (I don’t recommend using pre shredded cheese, it will not melt as well in the soup.)
- SAUTE – Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and cook for another 30-60 seconds.
- BOIL – Add chicken broth, broccoli, celery, and seasonings. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Stir in the cream.
- THICKEN – Turn heat to low. Stir in the cheese about a half cup at a time, stirring until melted before adding more. If you add it all at once, it can clump up and your soup won’t be smooth. If desired, quickly whisk in xanthan gum.
I like to garnish mine with additional cheddar cheese. Oh so yummy. For an extra special treat, serve it with a side of keto cheddar biscuits. They are absolutely delicious dipped in the soup!
How to store leftover soup?
You can store leftover low carb broccoli cheddar soup in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. Just make sure to place it in an airtight container.
Leftovers can be reheated in a saucepan, or in the microwave. If the soup separates while being chilled, just give it a stir before reheating.
I don’t recommend freezing cream soups, because they tend to separate and curdle as they thaw. And for this soup, the broccoli tends to get too mushy for my liking.
Can I use frozen broccoli for this soup?
I’m not personally a fan of using frozen broccoli in soup because I like my broccoli a little more crisp. But if you are short on time, you can use frozen broccoli.
Instead of cooking it with the celery and broth, just add it with the cream and heat through. There’s no need to defrost it first.
KETO BROCCOLI AND CHEESE SOUP VARIATIONS:
LOW CARB SOUP RECIPES:
MORE SOUP RECIPES:
- Copycat Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Bacon Corn Chowder
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Easy Lasagna Soup
- Ham and Potato Chowder
KETO BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken bone broth
- 8 ounces broccoli florets (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces grated cheddar cheese (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- Saute onion and butter in a soup pot over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until softened. Add minced garlic during the last minute.
- Add broth, broccoli, celery, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in the cream and heat through. Add the cheese a half a cup at a time, stirring until melted between each addition.
- If desired, quickly stir in xanthan gum until soup thickens.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 716mgCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 5.5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g