Lemon Pound Cake . . . made with lemon juice and lemon zest, then topped with a lemon syrup glaze and lemon icing, this lemon cake is a perfect dessert for lemon fans! It’s made in a loaf pan, and is simple and delicious.
I am a fan of all things lemon, so even though fall is just around the corner, I can still enjoy a tasty lemon dessert. I just had to share this lemon pound cake with you, because it is just so darn good!
One thing that’s nice about this lemon cake recipe is that you don’t need a special pan. It bakes up in a regular loaf pan. Not as fancy looking as a Bundt cake, but just as tasty!
What makes this lemon pound cake so special?
-Fresh lemon juice and lemon zest give this cake an unbeatable lemon flavor. It’s part sweet, part tangy, totally scrumptious!
-After the cake is baked, you brush it with a simple sugar lemon syrup. That syrup gets into all the nooks and crannies of the cake, adding both flavor and moisture. Yum!
-To top it off, you add a simple lemon icing to the cake. Doesn’t it just look incredible? Trust me, it tastes as good as it looks!
One of the best things about most lemon cakes is that they get even more delicious a day after they are made. The lemon flavor just seems to intensify.
So if you happen to have any leftovers, just put them in an airtight container. Your cake will be even softer and flavorful the next day.
(To skip my tips and just see the recipe card, scroll to the bottom of the post.)
HOW TO MAKE LEMON POUND CAKE
- granulated sugar
- butter (I used regular salted butter. It needs to be softened to room temperature.)
- fresh lemon juice
- lemon zest (Fresh lemon zest is key to the amazing flavor of this cake. Don’t leave it out or your cake will be blah.)
- vanilla extract
- sour cream (Adds both moisture and tang to the cake.)
- eggs (I use large eggs in all of my baking.)
- all purpose flour
- cornstarch (Gives the cake a silky texture.)
- baking powder
- confectioners sugar (also known as powdered sugar)
- milk (I find that a combination of both fresh lemon juice and milk makes for the best icing.)
CREAM INGREDIENTS: You are going to cream the butter, sugar, zest, lemon juice, and vanilla for 3 minutes. This makes the butter extra fluffy.
WET INGREDIENTS: Beat in the sour cream, then beat in the eggs one at a time. You want to make sure the mixture is very thoroughly combined.
DRY INGREDIENTS: Whisk together the dry ingredients, then add them to your wet ingredients. Stir till just combined.
BAKE: This pound cake recipe bakes in a loaf pan. Make sure the pan is well greased, and line the bottom with parchment paper. Bake for about an hour. For easier removal, let it sit in the pan for about 20 minutes before adding the sugar glaze.
SUGAR GLAZE: A simple lemon sugar glaze is what makes this lemon pound cake extra tasty. It adds moisture, and also adds a nice crunchy layer to the outside of the cake.
ICING: Tangy lemon icing drizzled on top of the cake finishes it of perfectly. So pretty dripping down the sides, and so tasty!
What can I serve with my lemon pound cake?
-We at the cake at room temperature just as is, and thought it was simply delightful. But of course you have options.
-You could serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or lemon sherbet and you’d have an extra refreshing dessert.
-Fresh berries always pair well with lemon, so you could top it with whipped cream and berries, or make a simple berry compote or syrup.
Tools I use when I make lemon cake:
-You must use fresh lemon zest for the best lemon baked goods. I have a hand held lemon zester like this one that I use all the time.
– Since the first ingredients need to beaten for 3 minutes, I like to use my Kitchenaid stand mixer. While it’s doing the work, I combine the dry ingredients.
Love lemon desserts? Here are a few more recipes to try:
MUST TRY CAKE RECIPES:
- Banana Pudding Cake
- Quinoa Cake
- Peanut Butter Sheet Cake
- Carrot Pineapple Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Grasshopper Cake
LEMON POUND CAKE RECIPE
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest (usually takes 1-2 lemons)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp cream or milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325° Grease a 9x5" loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla in a Kitchenaid or large mixing bowl. Beat for about 3 minutes, or till very creamy.
- Beat in the sour cream. Beat in the eggs one at a time till mixture is well blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, combine sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Poke holes in the cake with a toothpick, then brush the glaze over the tops and sides of the cake.
- Cool cake completely, then drizzle with lemon icing.
- For icing, whisk together all ingredients till smooth, adding enough milk as necessary to make a thin consistency.
Recipe inspired by Life Made Simple
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g