Poppy Seed Chicken – everyone loves this easy and comforting chicken casserole! Rice and a creamy chicken sauce topped with buttery crackers and poppy seeds. Yum!
Today I am sharing a fast and easy chicken main dish that is perfect for weeknight dinners. You start with chunks of chicken in a creamy sauce, then top it off with buttery crackers. It’s a recipe that’s been around for ages, and once you try it you will know why it is so popular!
I got the recipe from my roommate in college, and my family has always enjoyed it. But a few months ago I added some dry onions and a little swiss cheese to the original recipe. It really vamped up the flavor. Now my kids like it even more!
This is a great recipe for when you need to take dinner to someone. Even the pickiest of eaters seem to love it.
How to make the Best Poppy Seed Chicken
- cooked chicken breasts – I cook my own, but a rotisserie chicken works just as well
- cream of chicken soup – you can use canned condensed soup, or make it from scratch
- sour cream – I use light or fat free to cut down on the saturated fat
- dry minced onions – I have also made it with sliced green onions
- swiss cheese – this perks up the flavor, and makes the sauce extra creamy
- rice – Leftover rice is perfect for this recipe, any kind will do.
- Ritz crackers, or any type of buttery cracker
- melted butter
- poppy seeds
Tips for making Poppy Seed Chicken
-If you don’t have swiss cheese, parmesan cheese is an acceptable substitution.
-We like baking the casserole with the rice, because the sauce soaks into the rice and flavors it. But if you prefer, you can just bake it without the rice and serve it over hot cooked rice.
- Italian Chicken Pasta
- From Scratch Chicken Haystacks
- Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Mustard Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan
Poppy Seed Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Ritz crackers (1 sleeve), crushed
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 10.75 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp dry minced onion
- 1/3 cup grated swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish or 9x13" baking dish with non stick spray.
- Crush crackers, then pour them into a small bowl. Stir in the butter and poppy seeds; set aside.
- Spread rice in prepared pan.
- Mix chicken, soup, sour cream, milk, onions, and cheese in a heavy saucepan. Heat through over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour chicken mixture over the top of the rice and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle crackers on top of chicken mixture.
- Bake at 350° for about 25-30 minutes or till bubbly.
The original recipe calls for regular sour cream and 1/4 cup butter in the topping. I lightened it up a bit, but if you like to live on the edge, go ahead and use the full fat version.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 87mg Sodium: 671mg Carbohydrates: 43g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 29g
(Originally published Jan 4, 2009, updated August 2019.)
See all my MAIN DISH RECIPES.