I am a huge fan of meals that can be prepared in one pan. We are big fans of soup, but it’s not quite cool enough here yet. We’re still getting into the 90’s some days. I don’t know about you, but I just can’t get people excited about soup when it’s that hot outside. So easy dinner recipes like this that can be made in a skillet are a lifesaver!
My boys love sausage in any form, so this recipe was a big hit with them. Even the four year old loved it. My favorite thing about it is that it is packed with veggies, so I don’t need to dirty another pan to make them. Plus they give it a great crunch- just make sure you don’t overcook them!
This meal is ready in under 30 minutes, and that’s always a bonus for a busy mom. I start a batch of rice cooking in my rice cooker first thing. By the time the veggies are chopped and cooked, the rice is done and ready to add. If you have leftover rice, it is even easier to prepare!
I served this with slices of watermelon and cantaloupe for a delicious meal that the whole family loved. Enjoy!
Here are a few more of our favorite summer dinner recipes:
SMOKED SAUSAGE FRIED RICE RECIPE
- 1 pkg (16oz) smoked sausage
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cut smoked sausage into bite sized pieces. Heat oil in a very large skillet on medium high heat. (I use my electric skillet.)
- Add smoked sausage, onion, celery, and carrots to skillet. Saute till sausage is browned and veggies are crisp tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add red pepper and garlic, cook for another minute.
- Add the beaten eggs and cook till set.
- Add the peas and cooked rice. Heat through. Add pepper and salt to taste. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 192mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Supplies used to make this meal: