We are lovers of pasta at our house. I am always looking for new ways to serve it. I came up with this recipe one day when I had some smoked sausage in the fridge that I needed to use up. It is an adaptation from my Cheesy Italian Pasta Bake. This version has meat, so of course the carnivorous males in the family like it even better! It really is tasty, hope you’ll give it a try. 🙂
Smoked Sausage Pasta
- 3 cups dry penne pasta
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cubed (I used Hillshire Farms)
- 1/3 cup diced green pepper (more or less depending on how you like it)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in salted water till barely done. Don't overcook! Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour, then the milk. Whisk and boil for at least 1 minute. Add the salt, spices and garlic. Stir in the tomato sauce.
- Add the sauce to the cooked and drained noodles. Add the smoked sausage and green peppers and stir well.
- Pour into a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 696mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g