Are zucchini squash and zucchini the same thing?
Yes, they are the same. Zucchini is in the squash family, so it is sometimes called zucchini squash. There are many different types of squash. All zucchini is a form of squash, but not all squash is zucchini.
What is the difference between zucchini and yellow squash?
Zucchini is green and has a thin skin. It grows straight, and can grow over two feet long. Yellow squash has a thicker skin and more seeds. Some varieties of yellow squash have a curved taper at the top.
Is zucchini good for you?
Yes! Zucchini is high in vitamin C, and also contains potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin B6. It is full of antioxidants, especially the skin. It is also low in carbohydrates.
How to make Zucchini with Bacon and Potatoes
- onion (optional)
- yellow squash
- salt and pepper
Cook bacon till very crispy; drain off all but about a tablespoon of grease. Add potatoes and onion to pan and cook till crisp tender, about 15-20 minutes. Add zucchini and squash and cook for about 5 minutes longer. Season pepper and salt if desired.
Tips for making Zucchini with Bacon and Potatoes
– Cut the potatoes as close to the same size as possible so that they will all cook evenly.
-Don’t over-cook the squash, it will turn mushy.
-Taste before adding salt. The bacon adds a fair amount of salt, so you may not need to add any. We like it with a little added, but not much.
-I usually use russet potatoes, but you can also use red potatoes. They are smaller, so you will need at least twelve of them. You do not need to peel the red potatoes.
LOOKING FOR MORE TASTY WAYS TO SERVE ZUCCHINI?
- Lemon Lime Zucchini Muffins
- Best Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Amazing Zucchini Cobbler
- Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
- Cheesy Grilled Zucchini Boats
Recipe for Zucchini Bacon Potato Skillet
- 1 pound bacon
- 8 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 zucchini squash, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook bacon till very crispy; drain off all but about 1 Tbsp grease. Add potatoes to pan and cook till crisp tender, about 15-20 minutes. (You can add a little water to the pan to speed things up a bit.)
- Add zucchini and squash and cook for about 5 minutes longer. (Don’t over-cook the squash, you don’t want it all mushy.)
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 444Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 1011mgCarbohydrates: 41gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 24g
See all my ZUCCHINI RECIPES.