Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting . . . This recipe for zucchini cake is always a hit. The cake is spiced with cinnamon, and it pairs just beautifully with the cream cheese frosting. A must try recipe!
We had this zucchini spice cake for dessert tonight. I actually tried a new recipe, because I couldn’t find my standard recipe for zucchini cake. We were all pleased with the results.
It is really moist and delicious, and is perfectly spiced. And of course the tangy cream cheese frosting takes it over the top!
If you love carrot cake, you should really try zucchini cake. The texture and flavor are pretty similar. Both are absolutely delicious of course, especially with cream cheese frosting. My favorite!
Why is zucchini used in baking?
Since zucchini is so easy to grow, people often have an excess of the green vegetable. Because it is so mild flavored, it can be paired with anything from lemon to chocolate in baking recipes.
Like applesauce and bananas, it adds extra moisture to baked goods. But instead of adding extra sugar, it adds a boost of nutrition. It’s packed with vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber (especially the skin).
So not only does it make a great side dish, it is a perfect ingredient in dozens of baked goods! We even use it to make Mock Apple Crisp, which may sound strange, but is always a hit!
This cake is so moist and yummy, and has just the right amount of cinnamon. And it is so easy to whip up – you don’t even need to pull out a mixer for the batter. A whisk is all you need!
HOW DO YOU MAKE ZUCCHINI CAKE FROM SCRATCH?
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon
- eggs (I used large eggs.)
- oil (I used canola oil, but you can use any oil that is liquid at room temperature.)
- vanilla extract
- grated zucchini (I don’t usually squeeze my zucchini dry, but if yours is really juicy, you may want to squeeze out some of the liquid with a paper towel.)
- chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
DRY INGREDIENTS: In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
WET INGREDIENTS: In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Stir into the flour mixture with the zucchini and nuts if desired.
BAKE: Pour the batter into a greased 9×13″ pan and bake for about 40 minutes. Let cool, then frost. That’s it!
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- cream cheese (Full fat makes for a thicker frosting, but I have also used light cream cheese with good results. It is best to let it come to room temperature on the counter for a couple of hours.)
- butter, softened to room temperature (I use regular salted butter.)
- powdered sugar (also known as confectioners sugar)
- vanilla extract
- milk (You may not need to add milk to your frosting, especially if you use light cream cheese.)
Use a hand mixer to beat cream cheese and butter till soft and creamy. Beat in the remaining ingredients, adding milk as needed. Spread over the cooled cake. Enjoy!
How long does zucchini cake last?
You can store leftover cake in the refrigerator for up to a week. And yes, I do recommend storing it in the fridge because of the cream cheese frosting. Just make sure it’s covered well.
We like it best at room temperature though, so I like to take it out of the fridge and hour or two before serving. It will be fine at room temperature for several hours.
Doesn’t that just look amazing? I better go grab a fork!
MORE 9×13″ CAKE RECIPES:
- Super Easy Pineapple Cake
- Carrot Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Easy Coconut Cake
- Fudgy Grasshopper Cake
EASY ZUCCHINI CAKE RECIPE
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp milk (if needed)
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla; add to dry ingredients with zucchini and nuts. Stir till well combined, then pour in greased 9x13" pan.
- Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.
- For frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl till smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. I don't usually need to add any milk, but you might. Add as much as you need to get a creamy, spreadable consistency.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 338mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 40gProtein: 5g