Add a few ingredients to your favorite BBQ sauce to make these sweet and savory barbeque meatballs. They will make you the star of any party or potluck!
EASY RECIPE FOR BARBEQUE MEATBALLS
For years when I made bbq meatballs, I simply poured a jar of barbeque sauce over meatballs and called it good. Then I tried some amazing meatballs in bbq sauce at a church potluck and was blown away by the flavor.
I quickly found out who made them and got the recipe. Who knew that adding just a few ingredients to bottled barbeque sauce could add such a wonderful depth of flavor? Now this is the only way I make them.
MEATBALLS MAKE GREAT APPETIZERS OR DINNER!
When I am serving these meatballs for dinner, I usually make them a little larger and end up with 24-30 meatballs. When I am serving them as appetizers, I make about 40 meatballs.
Any time I take these tasty meatballs anywhere, I come home with an empty dish. They are especially popular at Superbowl parties – no one can seem to resist them!
We like using Sweet Baby Ray’s barbeque sauce for the sauce, but you can use your favorite brand.
HOW TO MAKE MEATBALLS:
- oats (I like to use quick oats.)
- diced onion (If you are really in a hurry, you can use a tablespoon of dry minced onion in place of the diced onion.)
- milk (I use 2%, but any type of milk should work.)
- Worcestershire sauce (Really brings out the flavor of the beef.)
- dried parsley
- lean ground beef (I like 90% lean ground beef, but 80% lean does make the meatballs a little more moist. I just don’t like the extra grease. You can choose.)
- First mix together the oats, egg, onion, milk, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and parsley. Then gently mix in the ground beef.
- Form the meat mixture into meatballs. I recommend using a cookie scoop so your meatballs are all the same size and cook evenly.
- Bake meatballs at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until browned through. Shake pan occasionally so meatballs cook evenly and don’t stick. (If you prefer, you can cook the meatballs in an oiled skillet over medium-medium high heat.
- While meatballs are baking, prepare sauce.
HOW TO MAKE BARBECUE SAUCE FOR MEATBALLS:
- brown sugar (Light or dark will both work. I usually use light.)
- white vinegar
- prepared mustard (Along with the vinegar, it adds a nice tang.)
- barbeque sauce (Use your favorite brand, we like Sweet Baby Ray’s.)
- Worcestershire sauce (Adds a wonderful depth of flavor.)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan or pot. I like to cook mine in a 6 quart pot so that I can just add the meatballs to the pot.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat till mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in hot cooked meatballs and stir till coated.
- Serve immediately, or place in a crock pot to keep warm.
- If you are rushed for time, you can use frozen meatballs instead of making homemade meatballs.
- Use half ground pork and half ground beef.
- If you like things spicy, stir some red pepper flakes into the sauce.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BBQ SAUCE MEATBALLS:
- Mashed potatoes and green salad
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
- Spinach Salad
- Ranch Potatoes
- Sesame Green Beans
MORE BEEF DINNER RECIPES:
BBQ MEATBALLS RECIPE
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For meatballs: Combine oats, egg, diced onion, milk, salt, pepper, worcestershire, ketchup, and parsley in a large bowl. (I like to use my Bosch mixer.) Mix really well.
- Add ground beef and gently mix just until mixture is combined.
- Roll into balls. (I use a cookie dough scoop.)
- Place meatballs on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so they brown evenly.
- For sauce: Combine all ingredients in a 6 quart pot and whisk thoroughly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Scoop cooked meatballs into the pot of hot sauce and stir to coat. Serve immediately.
Instead of making the sauce on the stovetop, you can whisk the ingredients together in a crock pot, add the cooked meatballs, and cook on HIGH for about an hour, or until hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 640mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 27g
(recipe originally posted 3/2/2009, updated September 2020)
If you are looking for an easy BBQ meatballs recipe that tastes incredible, look no further. Everyone loves these meatballs with their sweet and tangy sauce!