Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting – this homemade chocolate cake is made in a 9×13″ pan, so it is extra easy to prepare and serve. The creamy peanut butter frosting is absolutely heavenly!
My fourth son loves chocolate and peanut butter. (He takes after his mamma in that regard.) Every year he asks for a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. For the past two, maybe three years, I’ve made him this Reese’s peanut butter chocolate cake.
This year I was hoping to switch it up just a little. I happened to have Reese’s Pieces on hand. When I asked if he’d be okay with a non-layered cake if it had candy on top, he was happy to oblige. Because what kid won’t opt for extra candy? None of mine.
This cake is super simple to make. It starts with a chocolate cake recipe that I got from my mom. I tweaked it a bit, but it is basically the same delicious cake that I had more times than I can count when I was growing up. We called it Texas Sheet Cake, and topped it with a warm chocolate frosting. It is just as yummy in this recipe. 🙂
This is a very moist and tender cake, which is just how I like cake. I’m not a fan of fluffy cakes if they are dry AT ALL. Plus I love that you serve it right from the pan. No greasing and flouring cake pans and lining with parchment paper. No worries that your cake is going to stick to the pan when you flip it over. Sometimes simple and stress-free cooking is the way to go!
The peanut butter frosting on the top is creamy and sinfully yummy. I could (and did) eat a few spoonfuls. It is perfect on top of this cake. Kids love the candy on top, and I think it gives the cake a fun element, but the cake and frosting really could stand alone. Unless you’re making it for a ten year old’s birthday party. 🙂
MORE RECIPES FOR CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER FANS:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles
- Magic Middle Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Poke Cake
MORE HOMEMADE CAKES:
- Yellow Sheet Cake (with chocolate frosting)
- Easy Pound Cake
- Butterfinger Cake
- Homemade Chocolate Cake
- Heath Bar Cake
- Banana Pudding Cake
- Reese Cake
CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
- 1 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 1 cup peanut butter (I used creamy)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 7 Tbsp cream (more or less)
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl, set aside.
- Bring butter, cocoa, and water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Pour the boiling mixture into the dry ingredients and beat well. Add eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13" pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely, then frost with peanut butter frosting.
- Frosting: Beat butter and peanut butter till smooth. Add powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Beat in enough cream to make a spreadable frosting. Spread over cooled cake.
- Lick the bowl when you are done- it's divine! 🙂
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 503Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 2gSugar: 43gProtein: 7g