Creamy Tortellini Soup . . . loaded with sausage, vegetables, and cheese filled tortellini, this is a soup recipe you will want to make over and over again!
During the long winter months, there’s not many foods I enjoy more than a hot bowl of soup with some homemade breadsticks. Soup is just so comforting, and warms you up all the way down to the tips of your toes.
I am blessed with kids that aren’t picky eaters, so they are all fans of soup. Everyone in my family loves sausage, so I was pretty sure this creamy sausage tortellini soup would be a hit. It sure was!
This soup is so easy to whip up, and you only need one pan. You start by browning up your sausage. Mine was really lean, but you want to drain off most of the extra fat if you have any. Then you saute the veggies just for a few minutes. Make sure you cut them small so they cook faster.
Flour is used to thicken up the soup. Make sure you cook and stir it for at least a minute before adding the broth or the soup will have a flour taste to it. You don’t want that!
Tip: I use this chicken base when I don’t have homemade broth in the freezer. It’s cheaper than canned broth, and so much better than bouillon.
Half and half makes this soup creamy, but not too heavy. Sometimes my kids are a little finicky about cooked spinach, but they ate it in this soup with no complaints. I think chopping the spinach definitely makes it more palatable for the kiddos.
Did you know that January is National Soup Month? Totally makes sense to me! I’m teaming up with fellow bloggers to share recipes with you once a month for various food holidays. We have a few new faces this year, so I’m excited to see the recipes they have to offer.
Here are seven new soup recipes to add to your menu:
- Chicken Fajita Soup from The Baker Upstairs
- White Chicken Chili from Ashlee Marie
- Vegan Pinto Bean Soup from Namely Marly
- Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup (right here!)
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
- Instant Pot Italian Chicken Soup from Supergolden Bakes
- Slow Cooker Beef Enchilada Chili from Real Mom Kitchen
And a few more tried and true soup recipes:
- Ravioli Tuscan Soup
- Corn Chowder with Bacon
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Mexican Chicken Chili
- Ham Broccoli Soup
- Smoky Corn Chowder
This soup is so hearty and delicious! I hope you’ll give it a try.
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 14 oz pkg fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups half & half cream
- Brown sausage in a large soup pot. Drain off most of the fat. Add onion, carrots, and celery and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the spinach, tortellini, and half & half. Simmer for about 5 minutes or till tortellini is tender. Serve hot.
-You can substitute Italian sausage for the pork sausage.
-Recipe adapted from Life Made Simple
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1598mgCarbohydrates: 35gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 21g