Maraschino Cherry Sugar Cookie Bars . . . these pretty little bars are loaded with juicy cherries. They are perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Raise your hand if you love sugar cookie bars. I sure do! You can whip them up in half the time of regular sugar cookies, and they taste just as good. I love serving them because I always get oohs and aahs.
Aren’t they pretty with those juicy cherries peeking out? Trust me, they taste as good as they look.
Adding pink and red sprinkles to the top of the cream cheese frosting makes these bars extra special for Valentine’s Day, but they are just as tasty without them.
These cherry sugar cookie bars are so simple. You start with a basic cookie dough, then add cherries and some almond extract. The almond extract is a perfect compliment to the cherries, and makes them extra yummy!
You will end up with a stiff dough, but just press firmly till it is evenly spread in the bottom of the pan. I like to get my hands wet so the dough doesn’t stick to them as easily.
These bars are actually pretty tasty as is, but spreading a creamy layer of cream cheese frosting on top makes them downright irresistible!
Oh mercy. I can eat way too many of these pretty little bars. Good thing I have lots of family and friends to share them with. 🙂
And for more recipes perfect for Valentine’s Day, check out these posts!
Maraschino Cherry Sugar Cookie Bars
- 3/4 cup maraschino cherries, finely chopped (about half of a 16oz jar)
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- dash of salt
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
- For bars: Drain cherries well. Chop and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. Add flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir till combined. Fold in the cherries.
- Press dough into a well greased 9x13" pan. (I like to line mine with foil first.) Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes or till very lightly brown on the edges.
- Cool bars completely, then frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter till smooth and creamy. Beat in vanilla, almond extract, salt, and enough powdered sugar to make a spreadable frosting. Spread on bars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small amount from your purchase, no cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 2g
For all Valentine’s ideas, go HERE.
For all desserts, go HERE.
Don’t miss a thing – Sign up for the Creations by Kara Newsletter today!