Chicken Pot Pie Soup. . . your favorite comfort food, now in soup form. A perfect weeknight dinner!
A little over a year and a half ago, we took a family trip to Disneyland during the fall. One of the evenings was a little chilly, so we stopped at The Pacific Wharf Cafe for a bowl of soup in a bread bowl. I ordered the seasonal soup, which happened to be Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
Oh my. It was so yummy that I actually came back the next day for lunch and ordered the very same thing. I never do that, so you know it was good!
I vowed that when I got home, I would have to try and replicate the recipe. Then I got sidetracked. For 16 months. Ahem. But I finally did it! I came up with a recipe for chicken pot pie soup that was just as good as I remembered it. I got lucky this time, and it only took me one try.
As soon as I tasted it, I knew it was a winner. Everyone in the family scraped their soup bowls clean. Hooray!
I even topped it off with flaky strips of pie crust that I rolled out and cut with a pizza cutter. I made my own using this pie crust recipe, but you can definitely use store bought crust. I just didn’t have any on hand. It is the perfect addition to the soup, and add a nice crunch.
Seriously, this soup is a new family favorite. I am already planning to make it again. It is absolutely scrumptious, and so hearty. Perfect for frigid winter evenings like we’ve been having here in Utah.
- 1 uncooked pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (or 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp chicken base or bouillon
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 Tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Melt 1 1/2 Tbsp butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add diced onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, or till onion is tender. Add celery, carrots, potatoes, water, chicken base, seasonings, and salt and pepper. Simmer till vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll out pie crust and cut into strips. Place on a large cookie sheet and bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or till lightly browned and crispy. Set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, then the milk and cream. Cook and stir till mixture bubbles and thickens. Let boil at least one minute, stirring constantly. Add to the vegetables and broth.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and frozen peas. Heat through and serve with pie crust strips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 64mg Sodium: 527mg Carbohydrates: 32g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 15g
Today is actually National Soup Day, so I’m teaming up with the Celebrating Food Holidays Bloggers to share even more comforting soup recipes. We have a few new faces this year, and I can’t wait to try all of the yummy recipes they’ll be sharing!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup from Ashlee Marie
Brunswick Stew from Hey Grill, Hey
Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soup from Baking with Blondie
Cheesy Lasagna Soup from Gather for Bread
Chicken Pot Pie Soup from Creations by Kara
Turkey Meatball Pho from Foodie with Family
Italian Spinach and Orzo Soup from Real Mom Kitchen
Vegan Cheeseburger Soup from Namely Marly
Broccoli Cheese Soup from Yellow Bliss Road
Slow Cooker Chili with Sausage from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Bacon Clam Chowder from The Baker Upstairs
Curried Chicken Noodle Soup from Life Made Simple
Instant Pot Skinny Steak Soup from Sweet C’s
More comforting soup recipes: